S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on this project four years now and yes I have had issues, work space, problems, and no motivation at times. My research indicated that it would not be an extensive project. They lied. Well I am on the reassembly phase. I have the 5.7L in, I had a wiring company that makes harnesses for the motor that plugs directly into the current vehicle harnesses. I also have the PCM for the motor and it has been reprogrammed to match new harness and motor. So, I have a 1998 instrument cluster that I would like to install in my 96. I am unable to find the pin out for the 96 ICP. Anyone ever do this?

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
Get the swap finished first. Then start swapping interior parts. Is your harness built for the 96 or 98 dash? They are very different electrically.
What year and size engine are you putting in a 96 what? What engine did it start life with?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The internal harness is the 96. The motor harness and PCM is a 98. I had a company build me one for the motor that would plug straight into the 96 harness and had PCM reprogrammed for same.

·
Been there Done it
12,415 Posts
The 98 cluster won't physically fit in the 96 dash. If you swap a complete 98 dash as I understand it the mounting points aren't the same. I've never actually tried, but read on here that it's a bit of work getting the later dash to attach to the cab. Then you'd have the problem of wiring. In 98 when GM redesigned the dash they also did a major redesign of the entire trucks wiring system. Including the addition of a separate body control module. Since you are using the 98 PCM theoretically you could make the 98 dash work, but you'd need to be real good at wiring. I'm real good at wiring and I wouldn't attempt it.
PM me if you want the 96 and 98 wiring diagrams. But I'll repeat, get the swap done first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts