S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so i have a s10 v8 radiator/ 80-90 corvette radiator and i need to find the fitting size so i can use 6AN lines for tranny lines. anyone got a sure way to measure what size fitting and thread pattern it’d be?

·
Been there Done it
12,489 Posts
Pretty sure those old C4 radiators used a 1/2x20 male inverted flare on the cooler side of the fitting and 5/16 female inverted flare on the transmission line side of the adapter. Why not just us a 4.3 S10 radiator? I've used both and the S10 one is easier to work with and 99-00 Intrepid fans are almost a perfect fit. You only need to trim about 1/8" off one side of the shroud.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i already have the corvette radiator and i want the lines to be the steel braided line stuff and use an screw fittings for the whole thing but there’s all the adapters to find. Could i hook up the hot line to one of the ports on my radiator and come out cool on the top or will i need a real trans cooler.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the 1984-1990 corvette radiator i’m asking what 2 ports are they on the radiator that i need to hook up my tranny lines to instead of having the separate tranny cooler? is it gonna be hot going to top and cool coming back to the tranny on the bottom?
Font Gas Auto part Machine Metal

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,393 Posts
Actually, I think it's the other way around.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,393 Posts
If I recall correctly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok is there any way for me to 100% know that like a diagram for the radiator? or just go for it and just try and error?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i can do the tranny cooler only or i can do both i can’t just use the radiator for everything? btw thanks for the help man, i’m trying to understand/learn/do everything to get my car done as fast as i can on a budget.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,393 Posts
If your has the cooler in it...use it. I'm running a 200 Grand Am radiator with built in cooler and it work fine with my LS swap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well i obv got that then and i just need to get the -6 an adapter that will go into the two ports i need to find them threads like i said.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you 100% that it’s gonna be the 1/2 inch the hole when i measure it looks like it’s like 7/16?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
30,393 Posts
At some point you're going to have to make phones calls to these suppliers and get 1st hand info.

·
Been there Done it
12,489 Posts
Advance auto and I'm sure other auto parts stores sell 1/2 x 20 inverted flare nuts cheap.
Spend $2 and buy one to try. It's about the only way to measure the inside threads.
If I'm wrong I'll owe you a beer. Besides you can probably return it.
I had a C4 Corvette rad in an S10 back before they invented the Intrepid fans. I replaced the fittings in mine back in the 90's. So this is based on some pretty old memories. I still have that rad in the barn and if I remember when I'm out there tomorrow I'll try a fitting. I have a box of brake line inverted flare fittings and probably have a 1/2x20 in there.
IIRC the line into the trans cooler was 5/16 which often uses 1/2x20, but I also seem to remember that adapter fitting as being removable and a larger size one was used directly into the radiator's cooler holes. Pretty sure that was 1/4" NPT which measure a lot bigger than 1/4" because NPT is based on ID of cast iron pipe and dates to before there were cars.
Another thing to consider is the OEM C4 Corvette rad had adapters on the cooler, but some after market ones simply eliminate the OEM adapter and the cooler itself is threaded for the 5/16" lines with the 1/2 x 20 inverted flare and don't use the 1/4" tapered NPT adapter. The one I have is an OEM rad. The one pictured above doesn't use the NPT adapters, just the inverted flare.
Just checked a couple Corvette forums and they all say the fitting on the end of the line is 1/2x20 inverted flare on the Pre LT1 C4 Corvettes. And a lot of them were installing aux coolers using 1/2x20 to -6AN adapters for their lines to the aux cooler.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts