S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 S10 V6. on startup the engine revs between 3,000 - 4,000 RPMs. I just shut it off. Oxygen sensor or TPS ? Other thoughts.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Same thing happened to my truck after the TPS went bad. But checking the vacuum lines and cleaning the throttle body and IAC are a good idea on an older truck like these.
Thanks for the info. As soon as I get the chance I will swap out the TPS and clean the throttle body. I believe I will change the IAC as well. Found both parts online for less than $30.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I changed the IAC and the TPS. I could not find any vacuum leaks. Any other ideas? Fuel pump?

·
Registered
247 Posts
How long did you let it warm up after starting it? Did you take it for a drive (couple of miles)? Some times when you change out these parts, it takes a couple of minutes for the computer to calibrate and start operating properly. Also, if you haven't yet, make sure the vacuum lines and canister are good. Another thing to check would be the wires and connectors for those sensors, just to make sure there isn't a damaged wire or corrosion.

If all of that checks out, The only other thing I can think of is maybe the new parts you received were bad. When it comes to sensors, I would lean toward OEM vs aftermarket.

Honestly, I can't see how a bad fuel pump could cause a high idle, but I'm not a mechanic, so can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long did you let it warm up after starting it? Did you take it for a drive (couple of miles)? Some times when you change out these parts, it takes a couple of minutes for the computer to calibrate and start operating properly. Also, if you haven't yet, make sure the vacuum lines and canister are good. Another thing to check would be the wires and connectors for those sensors, just to make sure there isn't a damaged wire or corrosion.

If all of that checks out, The only other thing I can think of is maybe the new parts you received were bad. When it comes to sensors, I would lean toward OEM vs aftermarket.

Honestly, I can't see how a bad fuel pump could cause a high idle, but I'm not a mechanic, so can't speak from experience.
Thanks for the info. I did not take it for a ride yet. Too a high of rev to drive it, but, may give it a shot. I let the engine run until it was at operating temp (where the thermostat opens). I'll double-check all the wires again, in case I missed something. Canister? Plus, it was suggested that the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter may also, be the issue.

·
Administrator
21,462 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did not take it for a ride yet. Too a high of rev to drive it, but, may give it a shot. I let the engine run until it was at operating temp (where the thermostat opens). I'll double-check all the wires again, in case I missed something. Canister? Plus, it was suggested that the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter may also, be the issue.
There's a vacuum canister inside the driver fender, tucked behind the ABS. Sometimes the nipple gets broken off. It's fragile so take it easy checking it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the info!

·
Mr Goodwrench's Evil Twin
331 Posts
Where did you check for vacuum leaks? Just vacuum hoses or did you check the intake manifold for a vacuum leak as well? What is the condition of the vacuum hoses? They tend to get dry rotted with time and begin to deteriorate. If you squeeze a line between your fingers and it reveals cracks or little pieces of line crumble off... they need to be replaced.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,446 Posts
Are there any codes stored? This is the place you should start on any OBD II vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts