S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 99 chevy s10 rwd would like to put a ZR2 rear end in it so i can do a wide body on the rear i know that mine is 54 inches the reg 4x4 is 59 and the ZR2 is 63 my question is whats the difference between a blazer ZR2 and a S10 ZR2 some say the spring perches on the blazer is difference than the ones on the s10 and is both axles the same width

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Spring pearch location should be the same the axle lengths(width) is different

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i would like the limited slip
a G80 is not a limited slip rea diff. it is a cheap, weak, locking diff.
In any type of performance application, there is no GM axle I'd ever put under any vehicle i liked.

·
Registered
03 GMC Sonoma SLS & 04 Chevrolet Blazer Ls
1,156 Posts
a G80 is not a limited slip rea diff. it is a cheap, weak, locking diff.
In any type of performance application, there is no GM axle I'd ever put under any vehicle i liked.
The G80 is not a week differential if use like It's intended. It's a low speed lockup differential basically to help you get out of tight situations when you need both tires. But when you start doing burnouts donuts etc. Just basically abusing them living hell out of it. That's when they go nuclear. Hence their nickname g-bomb. I have one in my '03 Sonoma and I just put one in my '04 Blazer. But if I keep beating on the one in the Blazer at the track like I've been doing it will go boom.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
The G80 is not a week differential if use like It's intended.
I do agree with this statement. The issue, none of us use it like that. We put 500 horsepower or more infront of it, with sticky tires, and go street racing. Nice, smooth, grandpa driving, and it'll last. But who does that?
so what type of axle would you use
well, without any info from you and what you are trying to do, besides a 'wide body' I would say the go to axle is the 8.8 from a mustang or explorer.
But, depending on what you are doing, you might go with an actual ford 9 inch axle and build it, or have it built, to your exact specs. I feel, though, you haven't done much research on this, and need to ask more questions for clarification.
I'd say, start off with telling us your end goal. I have seen some 'wide body' cars with there stock 92 horsepower engine just chuggin along, so a stock axle with spacers or wider wheels would be perfect in that situation.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I do agree with this statement. The issue, none of us use it like that. We put 500 horsepower or more infront of it, with sticky tires, and go street racing. Nice, smooth, grandpa driving, and it'll last. But who does that?

well, without any info from you and what you are trying to do, besides a 'wide body' I would say the go to axle is the 8.8 from a mustang or explorer.
But, depending on what you are doing, you might go with an actual ford 9 inch axle and build it, or have it built, to your exact specs. I feel, though, you haven't done much research on this, and need to ask more questions for clarification.
I'd say, start off with telling us your end goal. I have seen some 'wide body' cars with there stock 92 horsepower engine just chuggin along, so a stock axle with spacers or wider wheels would be perfect in that situation.
The Ford 8.8 would be good but instead of shortening the axle tube I would lengthen the short side of the axle tube. But you would need another 8.8 donor rear end since you're adding to it. I wouldn't want to do two welds on axle tube Just one weld.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,636 Posts
Me....Me...I do that... 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I think there's just something in our DNA that makes us push things to the limit for we can break it for we can fix it. Then do it all over again.:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

My end goal is to make fun little truck I can drive as my daily not looking to doing a hole lot of custom work on the axles just won't to keep it simple

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My end goal is to make fun little truck I can drive as my daily
the S10 is one of the most customized vehicles out there. It doesn't take much to make them a fun daily driver.
Get some pics, lets see what youre working with

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
8.8 installed on my 2000 s10 with 16x7 Mustang wheels the tire sits at the edge of the lip. If you use a different backspace style wheel such as a stock 2wd s10 wheel will allow the wheel to sit just outside the well

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Old Fart
4,730 Posts
My end goal is to make fun little truck I can drive as my daily not looking to doing a hole lot of custom work on the axles just won't to keep it simple
If you want a simple solution I would go with an 8.6 rear and take the G80 out and replace it with a Torsen style differential such as a Tru Trac like I did. Personally, I don't think a wide-body conversion would look too good on a narrow bed like yours. If you had a wide bed a set of narrow bed fenders grafted on would look cool and as others have said you could get the extra width with wide wheels and an old-style offset.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I have owned 2 trucks with the G80 and my biggest problem with the G80 is it never locks when I needed it to. My first S10 I bought new and had a G80 and the first time I took it off road I ended up putting a tree limb through the rear window because the G80 didn't lock which caused me to slide backwards into the limb. Ever since then all my off-road vehicles have gotten Detroit Lockers in the rear and a Tru Trac in the front.

Reactions: bk2life

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,636 Posts
If you want a simple solution I would go with an 8.6 rear and take the G80 out and replace it with a Torsen style differential such as a Tru Trac like I did. Personally, I don't think a wide-body conversion would look too good on a narrow bed like yours. If you had a wide bed a set of narrow bed fenders grafted on would look cool and as others have said you could get the extra width with wide wheels and an old-style offset. View attachment 367251

I have owned 2 trucks with the G80 and my biggest problem with the G80 is it never locks when I needed it to. My first S10 I bought new and had a G80 and the first time I took it off road I ended up putting a tree limb through the rear window because the G80 didn't lock which caused me to slide backwards into the limb. Ever since then all my off-road vehicles have gotten Detroit Lockers in the rear and a Tru Trac in the front.
I saw this at the state fair. It's the prototype for the Xtreme.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you want a simple solution I would go with an 8.6 rear and take the G80 out and replace it with a Torsen style differential such as a Tru Trac like I did. Personally, I don't think a wide-body conversion would look too good on a narrow bed like yours. If you had a wide bed a set of narrow bed fenders grafted on would look cool and as others have said you could get the extra width with wide wheels and an old-style offset. View attachment 367251

That's my goal is to replace the G80 with the tru trac

·
Two tones of terror
827 Posts
You could always just grab an 8.6 from a ZR2 and run vette offset wheels and pop a tru trac in it. Thats honestly the cheapest/easiest way to get a decent rear end in these trucks.

Reactions: goes2fast
1 - 20 of 53 Posts