S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'm a 90 Five Percenter
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched but I'm not finding the specific answer I'm looking for. Basically I just need to know if I can pull an LT1 out of a 96 Buick mated to a 4L60E tranny (ecm, etc) and connect it to a 2.2 5 speed. I know there will be minor modifications but everything I'm seeing is about Auto 2.2's. And the conversion kits seem to only be for LS swaps.

There was an old episode of Trucks where they swapped an LT from a Camaro into an S10 but I believe that was an Auto. Would the LS kit work for the LT?

Ftr, I don't have any intention of smashing the pedal and doing burnouts, so I think I could get away with leaving everything else stock (maybe not 🤷‍♂️). I just want to be sure there isn't something that can't be reasonably modified before I yank the motors out of the truck and donor car.

·
Registered
74 mgb ls6 tremec 5 spd 8.8 rear 99 4wd 4dr blazer soon with 503/4l60e
33 Posts
So I searched but I'm not finding the specific answer I'm looking for. Basically I just need to know if I can pull an LT1 out of a 96 Buick mated to a 4L60E tranny (ecm, etc) and connect it to a 2.2 5 speed. I know there will be minor modifications but everything I'm seeing is about Auto 2.2's. And the conversion kits seem to only be for LS swaps.

There was an old episode of Trucks where they swapped an LT from a Camaro into an S10 but I believe that was an Auto. Would the LS kit work for the LT?

Ftr, I don't have any intention of smashing the pedal and doing burnouts, so I think I could get away with leaving everything else stock (maybe not 🤷‍♂️). I just want to be sure there isn't something that can't be reasonably modified before I yank the motors out of the truck and donor car.
Are talking about using the stock 5 speed? If so the gear rations are wrong and I'm sure it will grenade easily under power.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
31,216 Posts
I guess when it comes to free advice, you get what you pay for 🙄
Save the snark. There are a lot of people here that charge lots of $$$ for the info they provide for free. Not all of the answers may fit your criteria, but your reply will ensure that you get no replies.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
need to know if I can pull an LT1 out of a 96 Buick mated to a 4L60E tranny (ecm, etc) and connect it to a 2.2 5 speed.
a lt1 is a sbc. anything you read about for a sbc you can do. personally, i wouldnt look at an lt1 becuase theyre on oddball combo and even GM regretted making them.

do some searching on how to mate a SBC to whatver trans or combo you want.

·
Been there Done it
13,180 Posts
I just need to know if I can pull an LT1 out of a 96 Buick mated to a 4L60E tranny (ecm, etc) and connect it to a 2.2 5 speed.
First it would help to know what year your truck is.
Second you aren't very clear about what you want to do. As written it sounds as though you want to keep both the 4l60E and the old 5 speed.
Your later comments seem to indicate you want to keep the truck a 5 speed.
If what you meant was that the LT1 had been connected to a 4L60E, but you want the truck to remain a manual shift you'll need an NV3500 from behind a 4.3L engine in an S10 or Blazer (Not from a full grown truck, their 1st gear is too low) and depending on what year your truck is you'll need one with the correct shifter position.
94-97 NV3500's (4.3L) have the shifter close to the dash.
98+ NV3500 and NV1500 have the shifter closer to the seats.
Your driveshaft and trans crossmember will be OK, but the Tutu's NV1500 will not bolt up or hold up to the torque of an engine 2-1/2 times bigger. Throw out bearing and hydraulics also need to be from a similar year truck. Other than that it's just another SBC swap. Been done many times. Although not as much lately as the LT1's are getting scarce.
BTW the iron heads on the car Lt1 flow better than the aluminum ones off Corvette or F body. Between 92 and 94, when the iron heads came out the engineers has time to improve them, but GM never spent the money to retool the aluminum head line because the engines days were numbered in the sporty cars by then. LS was already on the drawing board. At 300HP (with the tuned port setup) the LT1's have more power than the LS 5.3 ever did. Except maybe the 310hp L33. Stick a LT4 cam in the LT1 and you get 330hp. Even your 260HP TBI motor has more torque and it is under rated. The 9C1Caprices could do 140mph with the TBI and if you do the math that takes more than the stated 260 HP considering the weight of those cop cars. Those engines have the same short block as both the Corvette version and the GM ZZ4 crate engine. Both of which used the more restrictive aluminum heads. Find a set of the 17112412 or 17112412 "police special" injectors. They're rated at 65-85 lph depending on your fuel pressure. PM me if you're interested as I have a couple of pairs.
When you consider all the cost involved in an LS swap, the LT1 gives you a lot more power per dollar.
And don't believe all the BS about the LT1 distributor. My 94 9C1 Caprice is 28 years old and has 150K+ miles on the original one and will run at 100mph all day long.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Oldeerslayer has it pretty much nailed. The reason the ’90’s LT-1‘s from a Camaro or Firebird fit well into a Square body S-10 is the accessory bracketry mounts the alternator, A/C compressor and other equipment onto the passenger side of the engine. This gives clearance to the steering box. It indeed can and will fit but like stated earlier to convert/adapt a 2.2 manual will be definitely going to the trouble to install a very “week link. I’ve got a 1988 2 dr 2 wheel drive that performs better than most with the 4L60E. It’s for sale if you want to save yourself the trouble.🤔
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Personal luxury car Car

·
time to get cereal
6,049 Posts
White engine bay... That thing must be fair weather only lol.

·
Been there Done it
13,180 Posts
interested in the injectors, i need some for a TPI build
The ones I have are TBI injectors. The 2 pod deals that fit into the throttle body. They come in about 6 different flow rates. The 9C1 ones are 65 Lph. Only the 454 TBI had bigger ones, but you gotta be careful of what year with those.

·
I turn.
2,609 Posts
First it would help to know what year your truck is.
Second you aren't very clear about what you want to do. As written it sounds as though you want to keep both the 4l60E and the old 5 speed.
Your later comments seem to indicate you want to keep the truck a 5 speed.
If what you meant was that the LT1 had been connected to a 4L60E, but you want the truck to remain a manual shift you'll need an NV3500 from behind a 4.3L engine in an S10 or Blazer (Not from a full grown truck, their 1st gear is too low) and depending on what year your truck is you'll need one with the correct shifter position.
94-97 NV3500's (4.3L) have the shifter close to the dash.
98+ NV3500 and NV1500 have the shifter closer to the seats.
Your driveshaft and trans crossmember will be OK, but the Tutu's NV1500 will not bolt up or hold up to the torque of an engine 2-1/2 times bigger. Throw out bearing and hydraulics also need to be from a similar year truck. Other than that it's just another SBC swap. Been done many times. Although not as much lately as the LT1's are getting scarce.
BTW the iron heads on the car Lt1 flow better than the aluminum ones off Corvette or F body. Between 92 and 94, when the iron heads came out the engineers has time to improve them, but GM never spent the money to retool the aluminum head line because the engines days were numbered in the sporty cars by then. LS was already on the drawing board. At 300HP (with the tuned port setup) the LT1's have more power than the LS 5.3 ever did. Except maybe the 310hp L33. Stick a LT4 cam in the LT1 and you get 330hp. Even your 260HP TBI motor has more torque and it is under rated. The 9C1Caprices could do 140mph with the TBI and if you do the math that takes more than the stated 260 HP considering the weight of those cop cars. Those engines have the same short block as both the Corvette version and the GM ZZ4 crate engine. Both of which used the more restrictive aluminum heads. Find a set of the 17112412 or 17112412 "police special" injectors. They're rated at 65-85 lph depending on your fuel pressure. PM me if you're interested as I have a couple of pairs.
When you consider all the cost involved in an LS swap, the LT1 gives you a lot more power per dollar.
And don't believe all the BS about the LT1 distributor. My 94 9C1 Caprice is 28 years old and has 150K+ miles on the original one and will run at 100mph all day long.
OMG - I never thought I would see a senior S10F make a reasonable, data-supported argument for an LT1 over an LS swap. Thank you! LOL!

I totally get the LS thing and loved the L76 in my G8 but my LT1 bird is a hoot. 300 rwhp with cheap bolt-ons is common and it's a torquey motor that sounds great. If you have the motor, use it. There's still plenty of aftermarket support (see Lloyd Elliot for heads and cams) and options to eliminate the Achilles heal optispark.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts