S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 long bed 2wd, I was wondering if anyone could help me lower it properly. I'm thinking of a 3-4 using drop spindles in the front. Any issues or ideas please tell me!

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are tons of threads and stickies to search and go through. Drop spindles on an s10 should only be a 2" i believe most manufacturers are i know full sizes offer bigger drops on spindles, nothing i've seen for an s10. You have to consider your budget and how low you're willing to go. From there options will start to fall into place. Front anything more than 2" i'd recommend springs and spindles, they're use to be 3" drop control arms DJM i think made them. back would be a combo of springs and blocks. Then there is air ride to consider if money and fabrication is no option. Check the suspension forums figure out what you have available to spend, build you're kit from there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2" spindles keep the ride the same, all of the geometry remains the same. the later 2nd gens had the 3" drop from the factory, spindles and dropped coil springs not sure about ride though.
Good Luck

·
Administrator
22,291 Posts
2" spindles keep the ride the same, all of the geometry remains the same. the later 2nd gens had the 3" drop from the factory, spindles and dropped coil springs not sure about ride though.
Good Luck
That's bad info. Trucks with the ZQ8 option had a 2" drop from the factory. 1.5" came from springs, the other .5" is from lower profile tires. The spindles remained the same.

·
the new guy
849 Posts
and the zq8 set up is a blast for a daily driver so if you replicate it, or find a zq8 junkyard truck to take parts from, you will be very happy. if not, get the rear sway bar from whichever s10 blazer is supposed to be the same and enjoy higher speed turns with wayyyyyyy less body roll

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, I got bad info... I bought my 1995 new, stock ride, I bought a 2001 extreme new... the mechanic at the dealership told me the extremes had the 2" spindle drop and a 1" dropped coil. The 1995, I lowered myself with Belltech 2" spindles. kept everything else stock. the extreme was untouched when it was stolen with 22,500 miles on it:cry:. I then moved on to 4x4 jimmy's and blazers so... no drops.
Mechanic seemed pretty confident, Anyway, 2" spindles that I have on my sons S10 drive nice with Zero Issues But.... it's not low enough for most people.

39,524 Posts
Long beds are cool.

Drop spindles
Coils
Belltech SP shocks or at the very least factory replacements or ZQ8 DeCarbon/Bilsteins
4" Angled blocks or drop leafs/blocks
JTR alignment kit if you pick up any driveline vibrations after the drop
Remove rear bumpstops
Shorter front swaybar links
Front end alignment
DONE.

And you may want to get a little shorter tire if you're sticking with stock wheels just so it doesn't look funny with big ole balloons on it. You can fart around with swaybars n junk too if you feel like it. I added both front and rear ZQ8 bars to my truck and they made a pretty big difference in cornering.

·
the new guy
849 Posts
google makes kaleco look like a hoax site. they won't open at work and the little display says they sell seasonal air so your tires stay at the right pressure for the air temp, ha ha ha

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
and the zq8 set up is a blast for a daily driver so if you replicate it, or find a zq8 junkyard truck to take parts from, you will be very happy. if not, get the rear sway bar from whichever s10 blazer is supposed to be the same and enjoy higher speed turns with wayyyyyyy less body roll
i will do that

·
the new guy
849 Posts
yup. that's how I always build my cars. I want something that no one expects or sees coming, a sleeper. my 4 door 325i won its class, and actually would have won the next higher autocross class, and everyone thought it looked slow. through the turns though, it stuck so I could carry speed better then the higher powered cars.

this truck should be fun

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my 91 ext cab I used regular 2 inch lowering blocks in the rear and developed a shimmy or vibration. Switched them for 2 inch angled blocks and vibration went away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts