S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so the story is my s10 has been knocking for 9 months...its a 2.2 5 speed 99...when i get it 9 months ago it had a bad headgasket...i stuck it on no problems...when i got the truck i changed the oil and did 3 20w50 and 2 90w120 i think gear lube....thing runs great but when it gets hot it knocks...when cold it has 60psi oil pressure at idle...
it also leaks coolant from a broken radiator tank...i refill like once a week...

fast foroward to today im driving i had just filled it up the coolant like the day before......down the freeway at 70 @ 3000rpm and i see the temp going up to 3/4(245 i think) which its normally right at 210 all the time! anyways im watching and it cools down...hmm ok i think mayb it had a bubble from the crack and made it into the motor now it burped it...i drive about 15 miles freeway and this was with about 5 left, i had no problems....got to where i was going stopped for about hour and a half, checked it and the radiator was about half gallon low? i was like damn the crack must have gotten bigger...i refilled and put 15 bux in gas in.....so i start driving again and about 15 miles later it starts doing it again and i turn the heater on and its not hot at all..actually was blowing 85 degrees and it was 100 outside...
well im driving about 10 miles later and it start sounding like the clutch fan is hittin something metal...comming from the engine bay, i slow down and im trying to make it to a gas station to check the water again...about 4 miles later it gets really bad and i started loosing speed pressed in the clutch and it instantly died, i immediately tried to crank over and it bussssssssed up with no compression at all...like all the plugs were out...i know it was bad...made it to a gas station and it was soo hot the valve cover was smoking and i pulled the rad cap it was empty...at least was below half....i blew into the cap and my bro said he could feel it comming out the exhaust, i knew it had cooked a headgasket or worse...well i get it home pull the head and 2 cylinders have a hole burned through the aluminum into the water jacket!
im stumped..only time ive seen ANYTHING similar was when turbo or nitrous cars detonate! this thing had aluminum pellets on the tops of the pistons....

my simple quesion is what caused it? i hear steam can cut through aluminum? i just ahve a hard time believeing it...and the thing i thought was something hitting the clutch fan was really it detonating im sure! problem is what caused it???? not modified at all stock truck

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
sorry for the long post but i figured every detail was necessary to make a good guess at what happened

i also need to know where else i can get a head from? a cavalier of the same year? what year s10's is it interchangable with? flex fuel motors or not? ect...i really apprietiate it guys

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i also need to know where else i can get a head from? a cavalier of the same year? what year s10's is it interchangable with? flex fuel motors or not? ect...i really apprietiate it guys

·
Registered
58 Posts
I believe a 98+ cavi or s10 head would work, I wouldn't use a flex fuel parts if you don't have it. Car-parts.com will help you locate one easily near you.

I think that engine got so hot that the HG and possibly valves disintegrated a little, so the little pellets are pieces of the melted head.

The head is probably warped and junk, so figure 125 for a new head, and 80+ to redo it.

When you redid the HG did you run it with the cap open for 15 minutes or so to get all the air pockets out?

·
KeepDreaminXtreme
1,514 Posts
if it did all that, your looking into more than just replacing the head. I would be looking into a fully rebuilt motor or a new one.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i burped the air when the HG was done...that was 9 months ago....

the valves are fine....but the aluminum head looks like someone put a torch to it and burned a hole through it....

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
if it did all that, your looking into more than just replacing the head. I would be looking into a fully rebuilt motor or a new one.
ya same... if it sbad enough your runnign gear lube in the oil then id look for a new engine...

and btw 210 is even way to hot

·
Registered
172 Posts
My old s10 used to run dead on 210. I never had a problem with it in 30,000 miles

Simply put, you cooked the hell out of it. I've seen it before. The top of the cylinder and piston is the hottest part of the engine, but the cylinder head is softer. The reason you didn't have any hot air coming out of the vents is because there was no water running through the heater coil to heat it up. Same thing with the temp guage.. if theres no water running past the temp sending unit, you don't get a reading.

·
Registered
172 Posts
gear lube for oil? ive never heard that one, except from used car dealerships trying to sell a junker.
When there is excessive clearance between the rod or main bearings it is not uncommon to use a thicker oil, in some cases gear oil can be used. It makes up for the gap.

Used car dealerships don’t waste money on gear oil, they use saw dust :tup:

·
Advanced Life Form
791 Posts
I just had my rad cap let go today. pumped all the water out of the engine, but i think i caught it in time.
I have a small oil leak at the rear of the valve cover and oil gets on top of the intake.As it started to get hot, i could smell the oil.I shut it down immediately, and knocked on door of the house i was in front of. got a trashcan half full of water. fired the truck up and slowly added the water back in.
So far it feels fine, and im not getting smoke out the tail or water in the oil.No loss of power at all.
Im changing the oil and rad fluid as we speak.
Im hoping i saved it in time.heat builds up so fast in these small engine bays.
as a side note.....my temp gauge never flinched off of 210.

·
Advanced Life Form
791 Posts
^^^
Well, after it all cooled off, i am getting some exhaust fumes into the radiator.
Im getting enough to smell it and it blows bubbles a little.
Should i expect to replace a head gasket, or am i looking at getting it milled?
Or is it something else?

Also, how long can i drive it like that? its my only way to work ATM.
If i can get another month out of it without hurting it more,ill have my Toyota done and drivable.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Magaglow, the head should always be decked by a machine shop when replacing the head gasket, my opinion anyway.

daniel, the engine is completely gone, i would not put any more money in that particular engine at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i knew the reason just wanted some1 else to say it...i knew it ran outa coolant when i turned on the heater...thing is if my camaro runs outa coolant or anything the gauge still reads because the head its threaded into gets hot....but i figured it just got too hot and the aluminum melted....i just piecked up a motor from a localk guy thats seized up....head on its fine...i think im goana just stick that head on it with a gasket after having it decked some....

i looked over the block and thers no cracks in it...i scraped the aluminum off the pistons...im goana stick the head on it and do a compression test...i dont think the bottom end is damaged...the rod bearings took a beating for a minutes when it was detonating but cant be much worse then they were....the rings i think should be fine...walls arent scratched....

btw someone above mentioned saldust...ive seen it done before...are there any ill effects of it?

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
i knew the reason just wanted some1 else to say it...i knew it ran outa coolant when i turned on the heater...thing is if my camaro runs outa coolant or anything the gauge still reads because the head its threaded into gets hot....but i figured it just got too hot and the aluminum melted....i just piecked up a motor from a localk guy thats seized up....head on its fine...i think im goana just stick that head on it with a gasket after having it decked some....

i looked over the block and thers no cracks in it...i scraped the aluminum off the pistons...im goana stick the head on it and do a compression test...i dont think the bottom end is damaged...the rod bearings took a beating for a minutes when it was detonating but cant be much worse then they were....the rings i think should be fine...walls arent scratched....

btw someone above mentioned saldust...ive seen it done before...are there any ill effects of it?
lol Yeah, there are ill effects. That's why shitty used car dealerships use that technique to quiet a car down quick and sell it off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't use sawdust in your engine. Eventually it'll clog the oil passages, depriving parts of the engine of much needed lubrication with disaster as a result. Its just an old trick thats been around since the dawn of the automobile ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yah i heard of it i thought it might be bad....never thought of clogged passages though....figured the pressure would push it through...

and btw gear lube is very similar to lucas addative....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts