S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I ve posted about this once before, but...
I bought my '98 Sonoma last November, to replace a '91 Jimmy.

My AC is barely doing the job.
I had a shop test it, and he added "a tiny bit" of refrigerant, said it really didn't need any.

I haven't added an E-fan yet (too busy to work on the truck for the rest of this year). I know that's one of the most important things to improve the AC, but my AC is marginal even on the highway.

Maybe the AC compressor is not doing the job, but how could you tell? I don't wanna replace it unless a new compressor's gonna cool better.

Any suggestions? I live in the South, and good cold AC is not an option here!
How well does YOUR AC cool? Anyone here live in the South or Southwest where it gets into the '90s or warmer?

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Stick a thermometer in the dash vent by the driver side, turn on the truck, MAX AC, low fan, let it run about 5-10 minutes and look at the temp. If it is not lower than 50 degrees, its not working properly. Then take it to another AC shop, have them test the system's pressure. Either the compressor is bad, your low pressure switch is malfunctioning or you are low on R134.

A good AC shop will find the problem, not just tell you the system is charged (has R134) and shrug their shoulders. If the AC is working right in your truck it should about freeze you out.

·
NO H-body, New Dime
2,526 Posts
if you haven't used the ac in a while then the compressor seals dry out and leak and u will lose all ur r134a. Just a thought, I didn't use mine for 8 months and had only .3 lbs of r134. (u should have 2 lbs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mde83, IceDime

Thanks for responding!

mde83 -
That's the answer I needed to hear.
I bought the truck last Fall, and I ASSUMED that since it was GM airconditioning, it could do the job come Summer.

Since you're in St. Pete, I guess you would know if I can expect decent cooling from an S10 A/C !

It's already cooler up here (I'm in Alabama for a while, working on a project at the Mercedes plant in Tuscaloosa) so I won't have to worry about it untill next Spring.
Thanks!
-r. x.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts