S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 S10 4x4, non ZR2. Frame is "thin" by the rear shackles and all the way to the bumper from rust/rot. Going to see if a junkyard near me has something I can use: splice and weld in. My question is to those who have done this, where should I have the donor frame cut? Wheel arch or closer to the cab?

·
Been there Done it
14,403 Posts
If the rear is that bad, the junction where the front and rear half of the frame meet is where you'd want to separate it.
It's under the cab. Problem is that area is also prone to rot and is likely as bad as the rear section. Your best bet is to locate an entire rust free frame from the south. If the body is worth keeping. If not part it out. If it's a 23 year old salt belt truck it'll cost way more than it's worth to fix it.
Not trying to be a nay sayer here. Sometimes you just have to face reality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Olddeerslayer, you are correct about cutting losses. However I've been looking to replace this S10 for 3-4 months now. Here in western Pa $10k gets you a rusty truck or one with high (150k+ ) miles. Something like my S10 in its current condition goes for between $2000 to $3500! This being my 3rd vehicle I don't want to spend a lot of cash for something to sit most of the time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
99 S10 4x4, non ZR2. Frame is "thin" by the rear shackles and all the way to the bumper from rust/rot. Going to see if a junkyard near me has something I can use: splice and weld in. My question is to those who have done this, where should I have the donor frame cut? Wheel arch or closer to the cab?
How thin? Who would be doing the work? If it is not "unsafe" yet, some would just hose down with an effective rust protectant and adjust its use a bit to avoid problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bottom flange of the "C" channel is paper thin. Main web is still solid. Inspection station said weld a plate/angle to the main web and it will pass Pa inspection, so that's what I'm going to do.

·
Been there Done it
14,403 Posts
Oh, you have those ridiculous PA rust rules to deal with. Only state that does that. A can of undercoating spray can hide a lot.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Olddeerslayer, you are correct about cutting losses. However I've been looking to replace this S10 for 3-4 months now. Here in western Pa $10k gets you a rusty truck or one with high (150k+ ) miles. Something like my S10 in its current condition goes for between $2000 to $3500! This being my 3rd vehicle I don't want to spend a lot of cash for something to sit most of the time.
FB login required.

$3000
2003 gmc Sonoma 110k miles Runs great, drive great, no issues 4.3 v6 vortex engine Extended bed, custom Jason camper shell OBO
I wonder about the overall condition of that vehicle.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Olddeerslayer, you are correct about cutting losses.
look out here by me in arizona areas. We have rust free trucks, a good s10 could be $1500 bucks. a really nice top quality could be $5000. It's wroth it to buy a plane ticket come here and drive one home for cheaper than what youll have out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts