S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I was wondering how hard it would be to go from an early 90's 4x4 with a 4.3 in it to a 305 V8. I want to put a shift kit in it. I would like to weld the spider gears together in the rear differential. Do i need to get a different front drive shaft? Will i need a different transmission , or will the one out of the 4.3 bolt up to the 305? The 305 is a 86, it is carburated. I am thinking it would be better on the road if it was lowered down and i put some low pro wide tires on it. Well any advice at all would help me. Thank you all in advance.:twiggss:

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is possible. Just just swap the motor. The original tranny will mount fine but might die shortly after due to power, it is up to your foot's heaviness. Everyting holds up fine, but if you want to lower you might just trythe syty type AWD setup, like Kramer is doing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stock motor mounts or need new

Thanks guys. Maybe i should just get a good posi locker or whatever for the rearend. Do i need to get new motor mounts or will the stock 4.3 mounts work? What should i do then to the rearend? Any ideas will be good.

Speeder... Is there a place i can go to see the idea about the awd that Kramer is doing?

·
Like a Rock
23 Posts
Re: Stock motor mounts or need new

XtremeS10n87 said:
Thanks guys. Maybe i should just get a good posi locker or whatever for the rearend. Do i need to get new motor mounts or will the stock 4.3 mounts work? What should i do then to the rearend? Any ideas will be good.

Speeder... Is there a place i can go to see the idea about the awd that Kramer is doing?
Definitely a good posi unit, and you'd be better off with 2.8 mounts, they'll bolt right up to the frame, and that's what JTR makes motor mounts to fit. You'll find others, but if you actually look at the design of a 4.3 mount next to a 2.8, the 2.8 actually has steel all the way around the rubber, where the 4.3 doesn't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well people i have a new idea. I got to talking with my mechanic buddy and him and i decided that I outta go with a 2wd S10 Ext. cab. Will everything still work motor wise if it had a 4.3 in it and i put the 305 in it? All i will need is the motor mounts. The 2.8 mounts will work with the 305? I still plan on lowering it and putting a posi in the rearend. I also wanna get a good set of headers and run true duals. What are the best and sorta cheap headers to go with? Thanks in advance for all the advice people.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
350 with 4.3 trans. and what motor mounts

Hey guys. I just got a good 350 given to me that is fuel injected, it only has 68,000 on it. My grandfather had it and is giving it to me. I was wondering if the 4.3 and 2.8 transmission will bolt up to the 350? And if so what motor mounts will i need to use? I will probably end up converting the engine from fuel injected to carburated. Well all of the advice will help me out people. I am very mechanical but i don't know what will fit what. Thanks.

·
Like a Rock
23 Posts
The 2.8 trans won't bolt up to the 350 since it's a 60° motor, but the 4.3 one will, though it has less clutch packs and a slightly lower torque capacity. If you haven't pulled the 4.3 or cut the harness at all, you can almost literally plug-n-play the 350, but you'll need the chip in the computer that's for the 350 (the 4.3 computer won't run right or at all). All the sensors and throttle body will plug right in to the wiring harness.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Doober said:
All the sensors and throttle body will plug right in to the wiring harness.
Depending on the year the Throttle positon sensor might need a different plug on it. They changed the plug style sometime between 89 and 91.

·
Like a Rock
23 Posts
If the TPS plug is different, you should be able to use the throttle body off the 4.3, but make sure you get the chip/computer that corresponds with the year of the truck itself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to Carbed 350.

I am gonna have a carburated 350 that i put in. I already have the 350 and the 4.3 transmission. All i need to do is get a S-10. What will i need for the computer or w/e if i put a carburated 350 in the truck? Thank you all for the information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts