Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2002 Chevy S10 manual 2.2 litre.
It's not in very good shape, but engine tranni wise it's okay with only 161,000 kilomters of mileage.

Amoung many minor problems, most have been managable until recently.
This winter the truck died on me. Towed it home and starting checking things. After checking all the cab fuses and they were okay, checked the block fuses. Sure enough the big 40amp ignition fuse was blown. So I went and bough 4 more to test a few things. I read on the forum here that aftermarket radio harness for this truck is usually no good so I removed the radio and harness. Also cleaned and sanded the battery ground wire and finally, I disconnected my trailer wiring to be sure. This fixed the problem!
Well, it ran for a while anyway. I was able to drive it for about 2 more months problem free.

All of the sudden, last Saturday, it did it again, it just died. Same as before.
Battery has power, cab lights up, door dings once and as soon as I try and start the truck nothing, no turn over or anything becuase the ignition fuse blew again. This time I'm totally stumpped. Don't know what to do.
I was told to try and change the ignition switch, but that's a very complicated job and I'm affraid of breaking something else in the process. Also was told to check the ground for the starter under the truck, then someone else said that's impossible because starter not grounded, only the soleniod might be grounded. It's freezing cold this week up here in Canada, so I'm not sure which night I can get out there and work on it, but going to try and see if soleniod is ground, but I had a question, what so I do with it ? Attach a new ground wire all together and ground it to the chassis or should I try and repair/seal the original ground wire ?

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for the 40amp ignition fuse they can share with me ?

Sorry for the long post.
And thanks for any feedback / suggestions.
Cheers!
Attila

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
I would inspect the wiring near the header, it's possible it has been exposed to the header/downpipe exhaust especially with flex pipe coming apart for more movement along with worned motor mounts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Would this harness be outside the truck near the starter or in behind the dash ?

·
Super Moderator
20,570 Posts
Before start up and when engine is cooled, look through wheel flap and you'll see starter, 2 wires. 1 main from the battery and one thin from the ignition. They should have heat shield and be away from the starter. Check for melt connection and tighteness onto the starter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before start up and when engine is cooled, look through wheel flap and you'll see starter, 2 wires. 1 main from the battery and one thin from the ignition. They should have heat shield and be away from the starter. Check for melt connection and tighteness onto the starter.
Okay, I think I know what you mean. Will do this first to see if hopefully this is the problem and can avoid having to get deep into the dash and steering column for the ignition switch.

I will post results if this works.

Appreciate the info !
Cheers !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2002 Chevy S10 manual 2.2 litre.
It's not in very good shape, but engine tranni wise it's okay with only 161,000 kilomters of mileage.

Amoung many minor problems, most have been managable until recently.
This winter the truck died on me. Towed it home and starting checking things. After checking all the cab fuses and they were okay, checked the block fuses. Sure enough the big 40amp ignition fuse was blown. So I went and bough 4 more to test a few things. I read on the forum here that aftermarket radio harness for this truck is usually no good so I removed the radio and harness. Also cleaned and sanded the battery ground wire and finally, I disconnected my trailer wiring to be sure. This fixed the problem!
Well, it ran for a while anyway. I was able to drive it for about 2 more months problem free.

All of the sudden, last Saturday, it did it again, it just died. Same as before.
Battery has power, cab lights up, door dings once and as soon as I try and start the truck nothing, no turn over or anything becuase the ignition fuse blew again. This time I'm totally stumpped. Don't know what to do.
I was told to try and change the ignition switch, but that's a very complicated job and I'm affraid of breaking something else in the process. Also was told to check the ground for the starter under the truck, then someone else said that's impossible because starter not grounded, only the soleniod might be grounded. It's freezing cold this week up here in Canada, so I'm not sure which night I can get out there and work on it, but going to try and see if soleniod is ground, but I had a question, what so I do with it ? Attach a new ground wire all together and ground it to the chassis or should I try and repair/seal the original ground wire ?

Does anyone happen to have a wiring diagram for the 40amp ignition fuse they can share with me ?

Sorry for the long post.
And thanks for any feedback / suggestions.
Cheers!
Attila
Wiring diagram look up on Google

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
I’m sure someone here can be a bit more helpful than look up on google.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
28,611 Posts
Dang...thought I closed this...

Closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.