S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a tech call this morning from a guy who swears one of his customers has a '97 Sonoma 4.3 automatic with a floor mount automatic shifter. I told him I'd neither heard of nor seen such a thing, but he swore it was true. Has anybody ever heard of or seen such a thing?

-Chris

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
i have only seen it in s10 blazers. he might have put that center conloe in his truck and put steering colomn pieces from the blazer too. i have seen that done before, it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a '97 and it was the only year it was a factory option. It's really rare in an S-10 and you needed an LS with the deluxe interior to get it.

You can retrofit the Blazer one into other years.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! So is the shifter mounted in the center console, or is it really floor mounted like the guy is claiming?

-Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is my '97 with center console shifter, from the factory.

Attachments

·
proud stepsider
519 Posts
yup..i have one too...from what I've read GM introduced it in 97, and it evidently wasn't that popular. Wish i could find a custom shifter for the thing

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you mean by cutom shifter? ...handle/knob?

I have seen the B&M Megashifter (for auto) installed in an s10 before, It was even a column shifter to begin with. That Megashifetr would be cool... ratchet throught all the gears. And it looks pretty good too, except for the ugly base.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey guys i have a 2k1 xtreme and i was wondering if it would be possible to get one of those for my truck? how much do you think it would cost and what kind of customizing work would it entail.. all help and coments are appreciated.

lata
norm:cool:

·
The Heezy To The Skeezy
349 Posts
deton8r said:
Here's a picture of mine with most of the interior removed.

Did the dynamate make a big difference?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I never had anything but the stock Premium CD system before the Dynamat install so I never got a good before after comparison.

I have been in other S-10s that didn't have any and my interior is much quieter. In fact, the interior noise in my truck is lower than a Honda Accord even with my exhaust. In this respect it makes a huge difference but I don't know if you get the advertised +3db in SPL.

If you have the luxury of doing a system from scratch and putting in some sound deading material, I strongly recommend it.

·
The Heezy To The Skeezy
349 Posts
deton8r said:
I never had anything but the stock Premium CD system before the Dynamat install so I never got a good before after comparison.

I have been in other S-10s that didn't have any and my interior is much quieter. In fact, the interior noise in my truck is lower than a Honda Accord even with my exhaust. In this respect it makes a huge difference but I don't know if you get the advertised +3db in SPL.

If you have the luxury of doing a system from scratch and putting in some sound deading material, I strongly recommend it.
Yeah I was going to use the new dynamat extreme or stinger roadkill pro.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My brother has a '97 with that shifter, and I just did the conversion to my '98. Not too bad, really. I got the shifter and console out of a wrecked '00 Jimmy. Then I bought the shifter cable from GM that corresponded with that year truck with that console. That was only $35. The worst part was getting the shifter assembly to sit flush with the console. We had to put like 5 washers under the bolts in the back, and 2 or 3 under the front. Maybe it got a little bent up or something in the wreck. I dunno. The only problem with this deal is that it the gear indicator doesn't work. It only registers when it is in park. The console shifter has to be left in the park position if you want to remove the key. Oh yeah, you can now take out the key in any position if the vehcile is shut off. Just some of the little nuances. The console shifter has a plug for the brake-trans shift interlock wiring harness, but I couldn't find it under the column anywhere. So we just tripped the solenoid and left it at that. Oh yeah, there's no more reverse lockout either. Won't go in park though. Let me know if you want more details.

Jeff

·
Master of Tech
164 Posts
I have that same floor shifter, but in tan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts