S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an '02 black ext cab extreme and am wanting to put a s/c on it but would like you guys HONEST opinion on which is good and bad and why. im not afraid to spend some money but i do know whats a good deal or not. so thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I gots the powerdyne, 1 year,1 month and 14k miles...not so bad for what it is and the price... Add about 70-80 horsies, good bolt-on to a stock truck. Very quiet, driveable, don't even know its there till you get into half throttle or more. Decent starter kit, not great if you want tons of power or are looking to upgrade later. If you want most power and future upgrade, Machs ATI intercooled kit is the way to go. 6 months ago I was so power hungry I wished I had bought the mach kit. Now that I have a kid on the way and I depend on my truck for commuting and stuff, I'm pretty happy with the powerdyne. Enough power to smoke the tires thru a couple gears, surprise some mustangs and things, crank out 14's at the track, and the passing power on the parkway is real nice...

later

·
Registered
160 Posts
oh BTW on your '02, the powerdyne kit comes with JBA headers, which for me was the biggest bitch of the install

later

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats cool i did not know the kit came with headers! thats the same thing i use my truck for is daily commuting and stuff.

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
I wouldn't go with powerdyne, the good to bad ratio is too much. If you ever have a problem with it, I wish you luck with powerdyne..They tell you nothing, they pretend they know nothing(which they don't). And if you ever get it repaired, it will most likely not be totally repaired, so you can deal with lots of downtime and shipping costs, and unexplained problems and they will try to make it your fault.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not that I am disagreeing with your ATI choice, but to be fair I think most of powerdyne's problems arise from guys f'in with them too much. Almost everyone (not everyone, almost everyone) that has had problems with the dyne has either changed the pulley size, shifted beyond normal RPMS (beyond even what the motor makes power at), has had the unit apart for one reason or another (usually to try and clock it so they can have the output face a diff way in hopes of making an intercooler setup work), doesnt use a blowoff valve and/or alters the stock one, OR makes tons of mods around the blower (air intakes, exhaust, ignition, blah blah blah) and doesnt upgrade the fuel supply. If you read my post(s), you'll see I think the powerdyne is a good power upgrade to an otherwise stock truck.

But, if you can afford it and you can live with the noise, I'm all for the procharger... If I had the $$$$ at the time, I would have gone that way... good luck

later

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
mkm said:
But, if you can afford it and you can live with the noise, I'm all for the procharger... If I had the $$$$ at the time, I would have gone that way... good luck
later
... and then you'd wish you bought the turbo kit.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Nah, turbo kit starts a $5500, it is nice but I would personally rather have the s/c, I don't see how you could be dissatisfied with either of the 2 though!

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
s10rz350 said:
once you have some you will want more boost sooner.
You are probably right! Aren't turbo's better suited to an automatic transmission in an application like a rwd truck?

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
only reason being you can keep your foot in it with an auto... which applies to any vehicle for dragracing. unless the auto trans eats a ton of power vs the manual trans. I'd rather have a manual trans.

·
Registered
940 Posts
yes auto trannies are better for a turbo you can build boost at the line with them, but manuals are much more fun to drive

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
xtreme43s10 said:
yes auto trannies are better for a turbo you can build boost at the line with them, but manuals are much more fun to drive
Agreed which is why I only go for manuals, which is why I would choose s/c over turbo.

·
98onyxsonomazq8
170 Posts
unfortunately the first two times the bearings went(second time due to the fact they didn't replace all the bad bearings the first time, so after 6 days had to be taken back off and sent in again). Everything was stock for the blower, no increased shift points, original intake that came with it, and stock pulley. Then 10 months later they failed again, now powerdyne wants $500 to fix it, and from the first time how can i trust them with my money since they charge $100 just for opening it, and then add on another $40 for shipping..

So i took it upon myself to do the bearings, unfortunately i did not use enough bearing seater on one of the bearings, it shook loose and the impeller is ruined. Probably cost about $800 to fix it now. It is tempting cause i do sorely miss the power gain, but it would just be re-accuring problems. And $1,400 would buy me a new head unit.

I really try to not cut powerdyne down, but i can't help it. Maybe i will sometime buy a new head unit, since $1,400 is still alot cheaper than the next nearest kit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if i had the money i would go turbo all the way!!!! turbo uses wasted energy to create power and s/c steals energy to make power!

·
Un-Blown Fake ZQ8
3,401 Posts
stereo-joey said:
if i had the money i would go turbo all the way!!!! turbo uses wasted energy to create power and s/c steals energy to make power!
:stupid: Good luck with your truck.

768 Posts
lou2uall said:
unfortunately the first two times the bearings went(second time due to the fact they didn't replace all the bad bearings the first time, so after 6 days had to be taken back off and sent in again). Everything was stock for the blower, no increased shift points, original intake that came with it, and stock pulley. Then 10 months later they failed again, now powerdyne wants $500 to fix it, and from the first time how can i trust them with my money since they charge $100 just for opening it, and then add on another $40 for shipping..

So i took it upon myself to do the bearings, unfortunately i did not use enough bearing seater on one of the bearings, it shook loose and the impeller is ruined. Probably cost about $800 to fix it now. It is tempting cause i do sorely miss the power gain, but it would just be re-accuring problems. And $1,400 would buy me a new head unit.

I really try to not cut powerdyne down, but i can't help it. Maybe i will sometime buy a new head unit, since $1,400 is still alot cheaper than the next nearest kit.
I'm working the bugs out of something that will be good news (although a bit pricey) for anyone who has a Powerdyne but wants to upgrade it. I won't say any more, but it would mean never having to worry about the S/C again -- no bearing failures, no belt to wear out or break. And noisy as can be. . .

·
Registered
940 Posts
Supercharged-ZQ8 said:
I'm working the bugs out of something that will be good news (although a bit pricey) for anyone who has a Powerdyne but wants to upgrade it. I won't say any more, but it would mean never having to worry about the S/C again -- no bearing failures, no belt to wear out or break. And noisy as can be. . .
humm sounds like a gear driven powerdyne to me, good luck :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts