S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys who have driven an S-10 pickup in snow before, what is the preferred way of adding weight to the bed? I bought snow tires for the truck, but I know that some additional weight would benefit. Is there a link (that I haven't been able to find) dealing with this?

Thanks.

·
Eat My Member
44 Posts
Well growing up in Chicago I can tell you the best things to put in the back for weight are bags of salt crystals, sand, or kitty litter, as all three can be used to get you unstuck. Of course if you can afford it *the* best thing you can put back there is a snowmobile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The best place is right over the axle. I use sand in case I get stuck, just put some down. To keep the sandbags from sliding around build a box frame from 2x4's. Two boards the width of the box and two the length of the wheelwells. That way the sand stay's where you need it.

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
Skorpio said:
Well growing up in Chicago I can tell you the best things to put in the back for weight are bags of salt crystals, sand, or kitty litter, as all three can be used to get you unstuck. Of course if you can afford it *the* best thing you can put back there is a snowmobile.

I grew up 45 min from chicago and that's what we all used, especially cheap rock salt from grocery stores. BEWARE THOUGH....one year a bag leaked into the bed of my ma's truck, salt + paint = dont ask :doh:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use sinder blocks. They stay put real well when snow is arund them. prob not too safe. But they are easy to carry. The best thing is FWD. My truck is a 4x4 and it is great in the snow and I live in the mountains(NC). But I had a 95 2WD S-10 and no matter how much weight i put back there it was no good in the snow.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
I packed snow in my truck bed........like packed it down hard.....with a shovel, and put bags of kitty litter on top.....that way you can use it if you get stuck, and over time the snow melts down and goes away on its own.

Caleb

·
The Music Man
133 Posts
those that used sand bags, how much weight did you use? I live in Ohio, and this is my first winter in a truck, AND rear wheel drive so as far as i can figure it might as well be my first winter....

thanks for any help

·
carries a gun at work
1,984 Posts
snow tires(studded are awesome) and about 4-5 bags of sand and your all set.

a posi rear end helps out ALOT too.

and cinder blocks are VERY unsafe, the bags of sand break apart into harmless stuff in a crash, cinderblocks dont.

·
Eat My Member
44 Posts
Can't stress enough, the simple rule of driving a rear wheel drive car in the snow is engine braking. If you can get in the habit of letting the transmission do most of the work and be stingy with wheel braking thats 90% of driving in the snow. The other 10% is pretty much knowing which way to turn the wheel when the rear end fish tails, and doing your best to avoid being stopped on an incline (and btw this is about the only time that weight in your bed makes any difference). Just think ahead when you drive and know how to control your vehicles momentum.

First good snow carefully get to a big unplowed parking lot where you can't hit anything and learn your vehicle. I'm sorry but anyone that tells you that a front wheel drive car is better in the snow then a rear wheel, well they don't know how to drive in snow mode. A rear wheel drive vehicle gives you 2 ways to slow down (engine braking in the rear and wheel braking in the front) and power transmission and steering are split between the front and rear wheels. In a front wheel drive car if you lose grip with the front wheels you're just done, brace yourself to hit something. If you can think quickly, a rear wheel drive car gives you a backup plan.

It's not all that difficult to learn how to control a truck in the snow, what you can't control is the other drivers who want to be able to just drive like it's a sunny day in July. Most of the snow accidents are caused by stupid judgment calls, people trying to pull out in front of you and not taking into account the greater time to accelerate on a slick surface, getting behind someone that thinks the best way to approach a big hill in the snow is at 5 mph, and people waiting until the last minute to put on the brakes coming up to an intersection.

Getting stuck sucks, but it's all the other stuff that determines weather you will still have a truck to drive come springtime. The reality of it all is that the sand bags might save you $50 that you may otherwise have to pay some guy in a 4x4 with a tow strap, but it really doesn't help you all that much with the winter logic of driving. Know whats going on around you and think ahead, with a wall of snow coming down right in front of you it's all too easy to concentrate on the 20 feet directly in front of your windshield and that is what will get you in trouble.

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
Hehehe. RWD is fun in the snow. I work at an Ice arean. and my buddy. dumped a whole load of snow in the bed of his truck. Lowred it good, and got home. and melted eventually. But. I would rather prefer to drive RWD in the snow, I just know how to handle them better, FWD is OK. I just got a beater that is FWD for this winter. Never drove a car more than 10 miles in my life, now I have to drive one for 6 mths.
Drive smart. that is all that is nessasary

·
Eat My Member
44 Posts
But then again, between living in LA and now Tampa Bay, I haven't seen snow in quite some time. I was fed up with the whole winter thing quite some time ago.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I take my stock ZQ8 wheels and tires off in the winter. I bought some used 15" S-10 aluminum rims and mounted 205/70/15 snowtires on them (that's the closest size to stock in diameter). I also made sure I got the G80 locking rear axle when I ordered the truck ;)

G80+Snowtires+4-6 sandtubes= Go almost anywhere

Steve

·
Registered
254 Posts
a few cinder blocks with 2x4's right over the rear axle will change everything

·
Registered
11,005 Posts
I've got 4 bags of sand, and a set of zq8 springs and sway bars in my bed, plus the weight of my fiberglass cap over it all. I have to trouble getting around in the snow. The only time I ever got stuck was when I got buried up to the frame in a snow drift.

Here's the key to snow/ice driving. There are 3 things that a driver does, steer, accelerate, and brake. When theres snow/ice on the ground, there's only enough traction to do 1 at a time. As mentioned above, engine braking is a beautiful thing. Do like he said and tool around in an empty parking lot to learn how your truck will react. I didn't when I first got mine. The first snow I ever drove in I made the mistake of hitting the gas midturn and spun out. I missed a new Camry parked on the street my about 6 inches, and missed a telephone pole by about a foot. Very lucky.

·
Registered
839 Posts
yea, in a front wheel drive car, if you slide, you cant recover very well. in rear wheel, you can spin the tires and counter steer to try and create a new, controlled spin that you can easily get out of. We got about 8 inches of snow on Thursday. didnt drive thursday, but i was surprised at how well my truck did. put 6 sandbags in the back, only got stuck once messing around in 8 in of snow behind the movie theatre. i figure that was pretty good considering the frame is probably around 8 in off he ground.

·
Registered
372 Posts
well idk about everyone in chicago but i live in WI (milwaukee area) and i have a cabin north of green bay. the only thing you need to know is not to have a heavy foot and use the noodle in your head. if you dont drive stupid you WILL not be in the snow bank. in other words drive like your old granny on sunday!! snow is nothing to be afraid off but if you want to learn how to get out of a slide go to some open parking lot ( the park) and start into a slide then get yourself out of it. i only learned from racing games but hey ive never been in a snow bank!

·
Registered
256 Posts
bill 4.3l 5spd said:
snow tires(studded are awesome) and about 4-5 bags of sand and your all set.

a posi rear end helps out ALOT too.

and cinder blocks are VERY unsafe, the bags of sand break apart into harmless stuff in a crash, cinderblocks dont.

Listen to Bill...he knows what he's saying...for real...i live in Attica, and visit the AutoZone in Batavia all the time...ok i live there-LOL...but studded snow tires on the rear and about 4-5 bags of sand kick major ass...if you have the ZQ8 Suspension, you will have an unstoppable tank.

In fact, just this morning, Wyoming County had a travel advisory, and i work 35 minutes away...i blasted through drifts taller than my bumper with no hesitation. The small wheelbase and zq8 suspension handeling kicks major arse.

I meant to ask you Bill...i bought the Heavy Duty load springs, the ones shaped straight, with them curved at the ends...they add 2000 pounds capacity. Well anyway, i bought it at the AutoZone on Walden, jacked the sucker up, installed it exactly as specified for maximum load, and i got like 1/4 an inch lift out of it...but i must admit, it defenitly stiffened the hell out of the suspension for hauling stuff...which i like :D

As you know with the ZQ8, and most S10's, the axle is above the leaf springs...do they sell air adjustable shocks for the S10? Those would be great...adjust them any time i want, to straight hight or jacked up for hauling. :rock:

THanks Bill...i appreciate it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts