S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching some hood info and came across an older thread about a pair of struts to replace the single prop rod on the S10 trucks. Is this item still around? Did it work? Anybody got any info? Thanks

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
Made mine, for a first gen only cause my brother sold his 2nd gen before I ever made templates.

http://www.s10planet.com/forum/showthread.php/18693-lookie-no-hood-prop?highlight=hood+struts

i have the hood struts on my 1st gen...its alot nicer then the single prop rod and adds a newer look to it....i bought it from a guy online that sold it as a bolt on kit...bolted onto the fender in a stock hole and clear the washer pump and rad. overflow perfectly....i can get some pics and measurements of the pistons tomm. if you want...ill also look for the guys website

·
ALMOST DONE
1,422 Posts
i have the hood struts on my 1st gen...its alot nicer then the single prop rod and adds a newer look to it....i bought it from a guy online that sold it as a bolt on kit...bolted onto the fender in a stock hole and clear the washer pump and rad. overflow perfectly....i can get some pics and measurements of the pistons tomm. if you want...ill also look for the guys website

i just ran out to the garage and got some pics of it...also found a link to where i got it....the guys name is Philntx...duno if its the guy on the site with that name or not though

http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/philc.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rhotpursuit, I see this companys kits are for 1994 and newer trucks, my truck is a 1988. Does anyone make a kit for the older trucks? Whats involved in adapting the '94 and newer kit to the older ones?

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Rhotpursuit, I see this companys kits are for 1994 and newer trucks, my truck is a 1988. Does anyone make a kit for the older trucks? Whats involved in adapting the '94 and newer kit to the older ones?

It was already posted for you. http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/philc.html You have to email the guy. The market is so small he doesn't stock them but makes them by order. The sy/ty guys still get them all the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sent an email to Phil Chivers at Autoperformanceengineering.com and he says he is out and does not plan on making more until next summer.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,609 Posts
Low N Slow, could you get me some closeups of the brackets? I'd like to see if I can fabricate something similar. I tried this on my own tonight, and it was pretty much a failure. My prop rods were so heavy duty that it was bending my fender lip.

·
Registered
797 Posts

Made my own as well. Phil may still have some kits to sell. I just couldn't afford to buy 3 kits for my trucks though.

·
3,609 Posts
Jason, thanks for the great pix. What struts did you use? The ones I have are so ridiculous that they started bending the fenders when I closed it. They came off a full liftgate (glass and tailgate made together) on a blazer. I could probably literally stand on these without compressing. They're just way too much. 1 is more than enough to support the hood. With two I'd never get it closed. Thanks.

·
3,609 Posts
Looking at some struts online...What do yours measure? They look very close to the ones I got except you don't have to be the hulk to compress them.

·
An ol Scott
835 Posts
I'm interested in a set.

·
3,609 Posts
You need to use 60 lb struts.
What would your guess on the pressure of some that were removed from a liftgate (glass and tailgate combo) from a 2001 Blazer? Seem really stiff to me.

·
3,609 Posts
Well, not beautiful at the moment. Will work that out before I paint this year.

Struts came off a Honda Odyssey Van. I used the ball stud on one end cause it was made into the strut, and then on the other side I drill the rivet out of it to remove the bracket. You might could modify this bracket and use it, but I didn't bother. Just put a nut and bolt on it that fits tight, but leave it loose just enough to move.

The brackets came from a 2001 Chevy venture van. All four are the same. I fabricated some plates to reinforce the top of the fender, and also fabricated some angle iron braces underneath for additional support when you push down on the hood. The fender flexes if you don't...a lot!

For the top brackets, I drilled some access holes with a hole saw 3/4". You can either glue the nut to your finger while trying to start it, or put it in a wrench jammed with paper to hold it in place. Both methods work good. Otherwise you will probably drop it in the hood....and there's pretty much no getting it out.

The upper bracket

Total cost...about $12.

Did run into a problem with the hood brackets hitting the mounts. Easy fix. Take one hood hinge loose from the hood at a time. Lay it down flat so it is in the position it would be as if the hood were closed. You'll see that you need to gut some of the hinge to make it clear. No biggie. Plenty of meat left.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts