S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders in my 1993 S-10 pickup. The problem I have is with the slave cylinder. There is a plastic "strap" that goes over the push rod and is secured to the body on both sides. There was a note in the box that said to NOT remove or cut this strap or performance could be affected, could be noisy, etc.. The problem is that my old slave had the strap cut. When the strap is connected, it prevents the push rod from extending far enough to even hit the clutch fork, so I can't for the life of me figure out why it's there or what purpose it serves. I tried bleeding the system with the strap in place, and I have no clutch because the push rod never reaches the fork... ??? I have a factory service manual for the truck, but it makes no mention whatsoever of this strap.

Does anybody know what to do with this strap?

Also, what exactly is the proper way to bleed this thing? One book says take the slave out and tilt it at 45 degrees, and another says do it in place. I am totally confused - especially since nothing works because of that strap.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

P.S. Just in case it makes a difference, these parts are Raybestos, and the slave does have a bleeder screw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just put a 92 s10 5 speed into my 86 and took the 4 speed out, i cant help you much, except id try the 45 degree angle shortcut, thats what i did, ive never heard of this strap, this one didnt have one, all's i can say is, "transmission swaps and part replacments are a B1%ch....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey man, what up. OK on your slave cylinder you need to cut the plastic and then reinstall the slave. Thats just there like that tag on a matress. The dealer isnt supposed to remove it. GM put it there because your slave if primed and ready to go when you receive it and the the factory's way of ensuring its that way when you receive it. The clutch won't accuate with the plastic cord on. How do I know this , cause I just purchased a factory sealed slave for the t56 i'm putting behing the 357 in my s-truck. hope this info is useful. SHIFT HARD OR GET A SLUSHBOX!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts