S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve owned my 98 ZR2 since new, and since about then I’ve never been fond of its soft, mushy brake pedal. It seems to have gotten softer with time and age. I do refresh the brake fluid using DOT4 from time to time, via a pressure bleeder. The system has never been opened beyond rear caliper replacement.

I’ve read that GM vehicles are well served to have their ABS systems bled via computer.

I’ve read the alternate approaches like locking up the wheels on a gravel road, or putting the truck up on jack stands. But with amazon and eBay come gm specific scan tools for not much money that can do it right.

I don’t know how to tell which gm trucks from this era need a tool to properly flush.

My 98 has four wheel abs and four wheel disc brakes. I think it was a transitional year for those features.

Is anyone aware of if these era s-10 trucks require a scan tool or tech II to properly complete a flush?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've found the computer bleed procedure has helped me get the last of the air out when I've flushed the system or needed to bleed the brakes on this era of truck. I've also done the gravel trick with good success too.

Anther source of the soft pedal are old rubber brake lines.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,125 Posts
our s-series truck can be COMPLETELY gravity bled. do one wheel at a time time till you get fresh fluid. and if your petal is getting softer as time goes on- you need to change the rubber lines- they fail slowly till the finally BLOW.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts