S-10 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Takin' it to the Xtreme
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 S-10 with a stock transmission 4 speed automatic. I want to swap it out with a 5-Speed Auto. I have a 4.3L and asked the guy down at my performance shop if it was possible and he said it was becasue the 4.3's are much like the Chevy small block V-8's...except with 2 cyls cut off. I dont know what kind would be a good kind to get...or if it could be fitted on. Is this possible? If so then what are good transmissions to buy?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
white99x said:
I have a '99 S-10 with a stock transmission 4 speed automatic. I want to swap it out with a 5-Speed Auto. I have a 4.3L and asked the guy down at my performance shop if it was possible and he said it was becasue the 4.3's are much like the Chevy small block V-8's...except with 2 cyls cut off. I dont know what kind would be a good kind to get...or if it could be fitted on. Is this possible? If so then what are good transmissions to buy?
whats the point of swapping from a 4 speed auto to a 5 speed auto?

·
Takin' it to the Xtreme
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Blown Blazer said:
whats the point of swapping from a 4 speed auto to a 5 speed auto?
Better performance, better speed, and alot better gas mileage.
of course ide have to get a new computer.

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
since when does gm have a 5 speed auto?

i know they have just come out with the 6l60e (6 speed auto) but never heard of a 5 speed

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
when did gm start making a 5 speed auto?

they do make a 6 speed auto the 6l60e but ive never heard of a 5 speed

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
white99x said:
Better performance, better speed, and alot better gas mileage.
of course ide have to get a new computer.
:rolleyes:

You've got alot to learn.

·
A4, A5, A6, A8 ASE Cert
374 Posts
THere is a 5sp auto Allison Transmittion. but they use them in the newer HD trucks. I am not sure if Advanceadapters.com has anything for both ends of the trans for the engine and trans. it wont be worth it if it is possible the allision transmittion would need alot of torque to turn the transmittion. so a 4.3 even tricked out wont help. you wont get anything out of it. in fact it will work against you.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Beldar said:
Erm, a 4 speed OD is kinda like a 5 speed. You got 4 running gears, then over drive. Count next time you drive, you count 5 gears.
actually i beleve there is only three speeds then overdrive.

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
the autos have 4 speeds total, 3 + overdrive. What you may think is the 5th is TC lockup. My mom's explorer is a 5sp. doesnt really make much of a difference there is one extra ratio between what normally would be 1st & 2nd, than the normal 4spds of the same year. Rest of the gears are simiilar ratios

But the manual trannies have completly different ratios than the auto (in s-series i mean), one of the reason I oped for a 5sp in my truck.

·
S-Dime Maniac
89 Posts
TC lockup? If you mean transfer case, my truck is 2 wheel drive. I believe I count 5 gears, but next time I drive ill put it in regular drive and figure it out. My mom's 2x4 Durango comes with a 4 speed OD tranny, and I count 5 gears.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Holy crap this thread is messed up.

4 speed is 4 speed regardless. TC lockup is NOT like an extra gear. In a 4 speed there are 4 physical gear changes thats it. In a 5 speed there are 5 gear changes. a 4 speed is not 3 gears + OD. Overdrive is simply a name given to any gear ratio higher (numerically lower) than 1:1. A 4L80E has a 4th (overdrive) gear of 0.75:1. This mean the output shaft speed will be higher than the input speed. If you take a look at a T56 manual transmission you will find it has 2 over drive gears. Both 5th and 6th gear are overdrive.

GM does have a 5 speed auto they have been making it since the 90's. It's first application was in the BMW's. They have the 5L40E and the 5L50E you'll find the 5L50E in the new Caddies. Problem is it WILL NOT bolt to a small block/4.3L V6

The new 6L80E 6 speed auto will bolt to a 4.3L V6 but the problem is you wont find one in your junkyard quite yet.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
betterthanyou said:
Holy crap this thread is messed up.

4 speed is 4 speed regardless. TC lockup is NOT like an extra gear. In a 4 speed there are 4 physical gear changes thats it. In a 5 speed there are 5 gear changes. a 4 speed is not 3 gears + OD. Overdrive is simply a name given to any gear ratio higher (numerically lower) than 1:1. A 4L80E has a 4th (overdrive) gear of 0.75:1. This mean the output shaft speed will be higher than the input speed. If you take a look at a T56 manual transmission you will find it has 2 over drive gears. Both 5th and 6th gear are overdrive.

GM does have a 5 speed auto they have been making it since the 90's. It's first application was in the BMW's. They have the 5L40E and the 5L50E you'll find the 5L50E in the new Caddies. Problem is it WILL NOT bolt to a small block/4.3L V6

The new 6L80E 6 speed auto will bolt to a 4.3L V6 but the problem is you wont find one in your junkyard quite yet.
:cool: Thank you.

·
Unregistered User
3,591 Posts
I did no say it was like an extra gear, I said "what you think is 5th is TC lockup"

Under the impression, that he's under the impression that the reduction of RPMs after the 4th shift is 5th, when it's accually tc lockup.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
j894 said:
the autos have 4 speeds total, 3 + overdrive. What you may think is the 5th is TC lockup. My mom's explorer is a 5sp. doesnt really make much of a difference there is one extra ratio between what normally would be 1st & 2nd, than the normal 4spds of the same year. Rest of the gears are simiilar ratios

But the manual trannies have completly different ratios than the auto (in s-series i mean), one of the reason I oped for a 5sp in my truck.

Exactly they are only trying to bridge the great gap between that low first gear and second gear.
No better mileage. It keeps the engine closer to it's peak power range instead of dropping the rpms way off between 1st and 2nd gear. Another gear and more things to go wrong !

·
the youngest has been
4,358 Posts
torque convertor lockup

is when the convertor locks so that there is no slipage in the convertor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts