S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what i can do about the recurring rust on my 98 stepside. I had it "repaired" at maaco a few years ago and they fixed all the rust and did a decent job, but the wheels were bubbling again after 10 months so i took it back in anger and they re did it again with fiberglass for free but said they cant stop it from coming back again. The whole lip is a bunch of bubbles.

Do they sell a weld in lip? Is there a way i could get someone to fab me a new lip or something? Or could i weld in a bunch of little patch panels? or am i just shitouttaluck? I cant get a new bed in the rust belt which means driving 13 hours to georgia for any bed in decent shape.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I was wondering what i can do about the recurring rust on my 98 stepside. I had it "repaired" at maaco a few years ago and they fixed all the rust and did a decent job, but the wheels were bubbling again after 10 months so i took it back in anger and they re did it again with fiberglass for free but said they cant stop it from coming back again. The whole lip is a bunch of bubbles.

Do they sell a weld in lip? Is there a way i could get someone to fab me a new lip or something? Or could i weld in a bunch of little patch panels? or am i just shitouttaluck? I cant get a new bed in the rust belt which means driving 13 hours to georgia for any bed in decent shape.
http://www.lmctruck.com/
I know they sell weld in rocker panels and such. They alway have an add in mini truckin so im assuming they do all s10 panels too.

·
Useless posting member
10,828 Posts
My buddy has a set of stepside bedsides if you want to drive to Sidney, Ohio. I think he's wanting $100 each or so. Otherwise, I think a member on here just cut out the front fender wheel lips and welded them onto his stepside bedsides. Apparently the body lines matched.

·
Registered Pimp
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn never thought of that! Ill have to measure mine and see.

Thats a good deal on bedsides, but for a little road trip, i could probably find a nice complete bed for 300 on CL.

I look at the yards all the time, s10's arent very common in the yard, and one that isnt rusty is like imposiible, add stepside on top of that and im SOL haha

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
cutting the lips out and welding in new panels will last a little while, but your just going to have the same problem all over again except now its going to pop thru along the edge of the filler panel ya welded in since theres no way to get to the back side of the welds and seal them all up real good.

·
Rubber Cooker: Revisited
859 Posts
you get a whole used rust free bed from Southern Truck in Imlay City, MI. They get their truck parts from rust free trucks that they bring up from Texas.

http://southern-truck.com/home.html

·
raviolli
84 Posts
depending on how bad it is, if i were you id get a new bedside. its the easiest weld on panel to replace imo. def check the junkyards tho...
i would never trust a maaco with a rust repair. when i bought my jimmy, the owner mentioned that some rust on the roof had been repaired but a year down the road i noticed the whole thing just sank in so i started grinding away and found aluminum tape with a glob of bondo over top of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts