S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1994 Chevy S-10.

It has been driven in Cleveland for 14 of it's 16 years. So it is rusted under pretty bad. The frame is completely rusted. There's no holes or anything. It's more surface rust than anything. There have been a few random spots that a layer of rust has fallen off, but it;s really uncommon on the bottom. The rust is all the frame. Most of the parts have been replaced since then. The mechanic fixing it though keeps saying that he thinks the frame will come apart if keep being driven. Is that even possible?

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
the frames usually dont rot through on these trucks for some reason but do on he toyotas that are exact same design frame rails, fully closed

i dont know why

take a punch and hammer and poke around in the worst looking areas and even some areas that have paint and check

its the only way really

check lowest areas and also all around the leaf spring hanger brackets welded to the rails

this is whre the toyota frames rot through and collapse

and happend to my 88 2wd yoyo pickup a couple years ago

im junking two 4x4 ones now, got half of one truck on the back of my s10 right now for a scrap run in the am, about 1800 lbs or so,

both frames of them were rotted and welded plate steel patched alot

they r4ot from the inside out, the frames fill up with mud dirt water always wet because its always wet in the upper midwest as you well know, we get it all here, rain ice sleet snow hail and more., and always wet humid air crappy constantly

plus the salt and cinders for 4 months a year

metal has no chance here to live long, even thick steel wont survive long

good luck

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
yeah i would recommend washing the inside of the frame out if you can to prevent dirt buildup that holds moisture.

also chassis saver is a good option for rust prevention.

oh and pics?

·
Electrical Mod
56,116 Posts
I guess I'm lucky, my 94 has hardly any rust on it and it's from Kokomo IN, but I don't think it was driven much during the winter. My dad's 99 is showing rust pretty bad now though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 94 has 400k on it with upstate NY salt winters, i just ripped it down to the bare frame (cab off, everything out of the frame), my frame rotted through where the rear leaf spring bump stops were welded on. I cut those off and welded plates back in. The other spot that was really bad was where the fuel tank canister is mounted. Other than that, it was in really good shape, show me an import that will last that long and with that minimal amount of damage in a 7 month salt environment for 16 years.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i would recommend washing the inside of the frame out if you can to prevent dirt buildup that holds moisture.

also chassis saver is a good option for rust prevention.

oh and pics?
Alright. As soon as we get the truck this weekend to bring it back, I'll take some pictures of the underneath. I don't have any at the time being though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts