S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I want to do some work on my current Blazer (89 2.8L), but my parents say that since it has some rust on it, I should find another one that has a better body. They said, find a cheap one with a blown engine, and we'll drop it, drop in a V8, and other stuff like that. They want me to get one of the newer body style Blazers, but I like the older body better. So, I have a question. About the only place that's rusting is in the rear right by the corners of the bumper. Here's the peice that's rusted. Should I just buy two of those and replace them and work on this one, or do you think it would come back and me just be wasting my money? It does have abit coming up by the window, but it's very little surface rust that some sanding will get rid of easily. If I put the peices on, how hard would it be, and what should I use to stop the rust? I'm thinking of maybe sanding down the whole truck and then spraying it with some kind of rust remover. Then painting it. But, would the paint stick if the truck's covered with the rust preventer? What preventer would you guys recommend?

Basically, what would be the best way to get rid of and stop all rust from coming back? Once I get it all rust free, I'm hoping to take it to Maaco for a nice coat of black paint.

·
Give me 3 yrs...
6,526 Posts
avoid maaco not worth the money, bout all the advice i can give...

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's all I get? No one has any advice on removing and keeping the rust away? Anyways, since it's coming back, I may be getting rid of my Blazer (which I don't want to do). And, since there aren't any for sale near me, I'm getting something different. Looking into maybe a GMC Ext Cab Short Bed P/U. I want something I can drop, but I can't find anything. If I do get this, it's going up (hopefully) with some nice Mud tires on it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
no such thing as keep rust away for good unless u baby it n keep it clean every time.
if u own a mig it wont b a problem to fix, ive has s10 boxes that just had the from n the whole side was gone, lil sheet metal no 1 knew the diff

·
Damn right I'm a maniac.
9,571 Posts
If your only rust issues are at the rear corners and window tracks, consider yourself lucky. You should see the '52 Packard that I plan on hotrodding :haha: I'd say pick up those patch panels, weld 'em in, and make sure you undercoat the back side of them. Might not be a bad idea to undercoat the whole underside of the truck. I wouldn't recommend maaco for a paintjob. For the quality of the work they do, you'd be better off to just buy the equipment and do it yourself. Even for a first-timer, if you take your time you should be able to put out a better quality job for about the same price. Remember, if you half-ass something, it will show in the finished product.

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PSYKO_Inc said:
If your only rust issues are at the rear corners and window tracks, consider yourself lucky. You should see the '52 Packard that I plan on hotrodding :haha: I'd say pick up those patch panels, weld 'em in, and make sure you undercoat the back side of them. Might not be a bad idea to undercoat the whole underside of the truck. I wouldn't recommend maaco for a paintjob. For the quality of the work they do, you'd be better off to just buy the equipment and do it yourself. Even for a first-timer, if you take your time you should be able to put out a better quality job for about the same price. Remember, if you half-ass something, it will show in the finished product.
undercoat them with what? that's what I'm trying to find out, what did you guys use to remove the rust. What seems to eep it away the best? I know it'll come back, but I want to try and keep it away for a couple of years atleast. Also, I took a look under my truck the other day (had a tire problem) and the whole floor is about rusted out. How much would it cost to repair that, and how hard would it be? Most of the rust is there because of the salt they put in the snow up north. So, down here in FL, it shouldn't come back for awhile, right? When I got it sprayed, it had patch panels put in already, and we sprayed all the rust spots with JayCo rust remover or something like that. Anyways, it's not coming up through there, so it appears it's working, but how long will it work? The rust is coming up where we didn't spray, so patching it and spraying it should keep it out for abit. Right? Basically, do you guys think it's worth the trouble to try and fix this, or should I just go buy another truck?

BTW- My current paintjob was done by Maaco. Paid $800 for the paint and for them to fix all the rust spots. I think it looks nice, but I may try to redo it on my own after I fix the rust.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
u can just spray gravel guard up inside if ya can, n just cut all the rust out n wire wheel spots that are boubled but not rotted, some times ya can still save them. n b sure to add fiberglass over the welds to help prevent water getting in

·
Get Low, Get Low!
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bagged85 said:
u can just spray gravel guard up inside if ya can, n just cut all the rust out n wire wheel spots that are boubled but not rotted, some times ya can still save them. n b sure to add fiberglass over the welds to help prevent water getting in
Thanks, finally some help!

·
-=-
3,175 Posts
JollyRojer said:
avoid maaco not worth the money, bout all the advice i can give...
All depends on who is doing the work.

There is a custom bike shop in NYC that sends their bike to a Macco shop a few blocks away for the base coat before they get airbrushed, and then sent back for the clear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts