S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my last post "stereo newbie" got whored, so here is another newbie question. i was looking under my hood tonight (98 4.3 with A/C) and i had a hard time finding a good spot to run my power wires. my battery is on the passenger side, like most, and i couldn't find a good spot on the firewall to run the wires. I'm using 4gauge so i need to drill a large hole.
so, who knows the best spot to run the wires through?

·
Registered
684 Posts
on the passenger side under the rug there is already a hole and grommet you can use, i beleive its for the antenna...hope this helps

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
there is also a hole on the drivers side, inside the cab, where a lot of wires run thru. they come out behind the parking brake, and its a rather large hole.

·
I'm BLOWN
157 Posts
You can also hook up your power to the fuse box on the drivers side and run it right in the hole down by the ebrake

·
12,507 Posts
depending on how powerful the amp is, id guess that a direct line from the battery would work better, without the chance of messing the fuse panel up, but im not really sure about that.

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i found the hole under the carpet on the passenger side, but i can't find it when i look in from under the hood. the air conditioner is in the way. i might be able to see it from underneth the truck, but there is 2 feet of snow on the ground and my garage is kinda small.
also, will the heat from the engine harm the power wire if i routed it across to the drivers side from the battery?

·
12,507 Posts
i had my power wire running very close to the valve covers (great install, Circuit City guys) and it never hurt it. maybe if you tie a small piece of red or yellow cloth to a piece or wire, and push it thru the hole on the inside, you'll be able to see where it comes out in the engine bay.

·
12,507 Posts
*edit* you could run the power wire alone the top of the firewall, behind the engine, to bypass the possibility of screwing it up because of the heat, if you have enough wire to do that.

·
98 Noma ZQ8
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MuddyS10, you were one of the guys who whored my last post, but you more than made up for it with your help here! thanks!

·
12,507 Posts
sure thing. sorry about that!

·
GM junkie
436 Posts
Running it through the existing antenna grommet on the passenger side is the best way to do it that I've found. I have a 4 gauge running through mine along with the existing antenna cable without any problem. It's really difficult to see it from under the hood though, it's directly underneath the A/C box. You can also try running a piece of clothes hanger through the grommet, you should be able to see it then. When you get your wire through, bring it up around the A/C box on the side closest to the passenger fender and blower motor, keeps it away from the exhaust manifold and out of harms way.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Would 0 gauge wire fit through either one of those grommets? The driver side or passenger side, and is it possible to hide 0 gauge wire?

·
12,507 Posts
i dont think so lol.....thats some big wire. maybe paint it gray to match the carpet.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
lil_buzzin05 said:
Would 0 gauge wire fit through either one of those grommets? The driver side or passenger side, and is it possible to hide 0 gauge wire?

this is very possible to hide 0 guage wire. i have my wire running along the passenger side fender under the hood. then it goes thru the wheelwell behind the metal in the well and under the truck. u can barely see it under the hood. the only thing u see is maybe 3-4 feet of wire. i can post pics as soon as all the snow melts. or i can try and edit one of the pics i have now if u want it. i hope this helps u out. pm me for anymore questions. sorry for whoring up your thready muddys-10

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Paint it lol. I'm not worried about hiding it well near the box, just as long as its neat cuz it's blue and silver which should match my Hifonics BX1000D nicely. But I don't want it getting hurt or anything in the cab by people stepping on it or sumthing.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I don't know about the whole running it underneath the truck, that worries me. Is it completely safe? The last thing I want is a f*cked up system.

·
Computer Geek
6,326 Posts
lil_buzzin05 said:
I don't know about the whole running it underneath the truck, that worries me. Is it completely safe? The last thing I want is a f*cked up system.

my main power wire is run under my truck above the frame away from any debris and away from everything and it is fine. just zip tie it to the frame or if u can run it thru the frame rails.

·
12,507 Posts
running the power wire, yeah, its safe. someone would have to be one heavy ass, or wearing cleats, to damage a power wire by stepping on it, too.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I have an extended cab 2dxtreme. I will be running a 12" Brahma off a Hifonics Brutus BX1000D in a 1.0 ft^3 sealed box.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts