S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my stock battery upfront, and Im gonna add a second in the bed. How do I connect the 2 batteries so they both charge the same and get used the same?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong guys, but I beleive that will give you 24volts. And that is bad for a 12volt system.
Possitive to possitive negative to negative sonds a little safer and should charge.Kind of like a jump start.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do I have to connect the negative or can I just ground them both to the frame? also my fatory battery is a side terminal only, how can I add another power cable to it when the only power terminal has the lead from the alternator in it?

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
OMG!!! DO NOT DO DRAGGIN-S SETUP!!! that setup is petty much putting a short across battery 2's terminal. this might cause an explosion or some major battery acid leakage.

think about it battery 1's negative is grounded to frame. if you connect this to battery 2's positive, and connect battery 2's negative to frame. you basically connected both terminals to frame. it might not do a lot of damage if you do it for a short period of time, but if you leave it in there for a while.... it will blow up.

just connect positive to positive, negative to negative. and i suggest runing a wire to connect both negatives instead of just grounding the negative of baterry 2 to the frame. this way it will handle the current better and will be more reliable, less chances of the wire overheating. in fact do both go negative to negative, then ground the negative of battery 2 to frame.

·
Registered
653 Posts
To connect another + terminal on your side terminal battery. get two replacement terminals and a longer bolt. then cut the end off your existing one.

or get one of those bolts that replaces the origional one and adds a top terminal type post on the side.

·
Registered
677 Posts
best way i've seen it explained

"If you put the batteries in series, then the electrons pick up more potential energy as they go through each battery. For example, pretend you had three 9V batteries lined up in series. If we say that our electrons have 0V of potential energy at the beginning, then they have 9V after the first battery, 18V after the second, and 27V after the third - they gain more energy at each step.

If you put the 3 batteries in parallel, a third of the electrons goes through each battery. But like I said before, it doesn't matter how many electrons go through a battery (so long as it's not too much) - it treats them all the same way. Since each electron only goes through one battery, its potential energy is only increased by 9V (not 27V).

A nice analogy to this is a grain elevator. Imagine that a bunch of grain is moving along a conveyor belt and it comes to a grain elevator that moves it up 9 feet. This gives it more (gravitational) potential energy - it has further that it could fall. Then it comes to another 9 foot elevator and another. At the end it's all 27 feet up. The flow of grain up the elevators would be just the same as for one elevator, but it would go higher., just as batteries in series can't supply more current than ones in parallel, but they do supply more voltage. But if the grain went up 3 elevators placed in parallel then after the 3 elevators, all of the grain would only have gone up 9 feet. Of course, the 3 elevators in parallel could carry more grain, just as batteries in parallel can supply more current. But the height it was carried to would be just the same as for one elevator, just like the voltage of batteries in parallel"

·
Registered
382 Posts
First: DO NOT connect 2 batteries together directly!

IF you connect bat 1 positive to bat 2 negative and bat 2 positive to the system, that's a SERIES connection and will give you 24 volts. You just fried your entire electrical system.

If you connect bat 1 positive to bat 2 positve, that's a PARALLEL connection. This will give you 12 volts and will in theory give you twice the current (amps).
What will happen though is that since no 2 batteries are exactly equal in voltage or charge, the battery with the higher voltage will discharge into the battery with the lower voltage..... not good.
Eventually both batteries will be ruined.

Why do you want to do this?

If you want to have a "backup" battery, you can connect the second battery through a battery isolator. You can buy them at marine supply houses, or from J.C. Witney. This device will allow you to connect both batteries to the alternator so that they both charge from the alternator.

You can connect stereo equipment, TV's whatever so that if you are not driving and you run the sound system long enough to completly discharge the auxilliary battery, the "main" battery will still be charged.

This is the ONLY way to run two batteries, except to use a special dual alternator, like a lot of police and emegency vehicles use.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I work on a dairy farm and all of our tractors have 2 12 volt batteries wired in parallel to give more corrent and cranking amps and the onlly thing conecting them is battery cables. positive 1 to positive 2, and then positive one to the starter. Negative 1 to negative 2, and then negative one to the frame. The semi we have on the farm is the same way exept it has 2 pair of parellel wired 12 volt batteries, wired in series to give 24 volts of massive cranking power. Hope this helps, you shouldnt have any problems at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts