S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what rpm can you safely take a 2.2 up to. i have my redline on my tach set at 5000 rpm, but i can feel it pick up more at about 4-4,500. did i set the redline too low? i think i want to set my redline at an rpm you can safely take it to more than once a year or something.....

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
I have a stock tach with my 2.2 5speed and I think it has a red line @6000-6500(can't remember) hope that helps! But I think 5000 is kinda low. Your not going to want to hit 6500 RPMs to often though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
:drinkhaha i've never hooked up a tach on a car with no distibutor. is there anything special to remember when doing so? mainly, where do i hook the tach lead wire up?:thumbup:

·
not a self portrait...
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried it and failed, i went somewhere and they spliced the wire for like $5. you hook it up somewhere around the coils, i think...its a purple with white stripe wire, i remember that much.....sorry

·
Registered
43 Posts
rpm

i think its at 6000 rpm where it shuts off.

·
"GOT RICE?"
271 Posts
yah..I was wrong before. My tach redlines at 6000, and has the warning section from 5500-6000. Does anyone know what happens if you hit 6000? I've been close before. Will my engine actually shut itself off if I hit 6000.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i got a 94 that i run up to 6400 before i shift (6500 is my cut off) i dont know if its different on the new ones though .... i havent made any adjustments to my redline either thats stock :evilg: :uhoh: :thumbup: :bowdown: :whip: :woah:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: rpms? (LONG)

Chevy opted for long stroke which equals more lower end torque, unlike those rice rockets which must rev high to get any power or torque, the disadvantage to this of course is lower RPM. How high you are asking.

In order to awnser that, you must first understand what is limiting us. Little rice rockets rev to 8000rpm yet we are stuck at 6000rpm, why. SImple, our larger stroke. What limits us is of course our valves. Stock valves simply do not close fast enough for the cam our stock engines have. You want high RPM, you must get tighter springs, maybe roller rockers. Lets not forget our trusty cam. If you want the engine for up top power, your cam must be changed. If the intake duration is longer and earlier you can rev it higher but the engine will loose efeciency down low when not reving up.( and have a sweet idle sound)

I would have the engine dynamicly balanced, that would allow it to rev up smoothly, thus not harming other componets of the engine.I would also get AWP bolts for the connecting rods etc...

I have a 96 2.2L s-10, I find that 4,200RPM is max continous (stock) 4500 if you have an intake and gadgets to make that work. Im not talking about sitting there in first gear doing this either, last week I was cruising up a twisty mountain in 3rd gear humming smoothly at 4,000rpm. If your not in the need of the power, dont rev it up.

I have found a magic # on my truck. I get the best gas mi this way. I stift at about 32-35rpm on normal acel and about 27-3rpm economy. The key # is keep the rpms 2100-3500 for gas meilege. ANYTHING under 2100 is bogging the engine if you try to acel, you will get whorse meilege bogging the engine and not to mention engine problems. That watses gas, gets the cylnder heads hotter than normal, and lots of stress on the engine.

I have reved mine to 6,000RPM. Dont bother reving a stock S-10 over 5,000RPM, the power drops off above that, and vibration begins.Look in your damn manual, it says HP peak is low i belive mine is [email protected] or 5200. The cut off is 6500RPM, thats what mine says in the book. Chevy of course derates the redline so you know yrou engine can handle up to and in redline, but is it smart? All it would take is a tiny bit of carbon to make a vavle stick.... bad day.

I hope I put out a good letter, my higher RPMS obviously isnt harmful, i have 120,000mi and burns no oil and has high compression.My s-10 has the resister in the IAT,high flow airfilter (k&n), high flow muffler.A mechanic told me, you allow the engine to beath (in and out) and the engine will last 300,000mi.:D

·
Registered Abuser
2,375 Posts
well i didnt read the last post...kinda a short story there guy...

Ive hit the rev limiter several times... It will just go to a point and youll hear it and feel it. Basicly it goes from WOT to idle and as long as you have your foot on the pedal it keeps going back and forth from WOT to Idle really fast.
Its almost like hitting the speed limiter but it doesnt slow you down as fast when you do.

Dont go out trying to hit the rev limiter.... Ive already heard of someone going out and running 90+ in 3rd gear and the motor blowing up. This was due to a faulty rev limiter sensor or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts