S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Independent
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw somewhere on here once a guy who used a router to turn down the inside of his zq8 rims to fit on a first gen. He gave the number of the router bit, think it was a porter cable bit. trying to doing a search but couldn't find it. he even had a video on youtube and I searched there but couldn't find it either. Anyone know anything about this? I wanted to turn mine down a bit to fit on my first gen for summer.

·
The Blue Pwns Joo!
1,901 Posts

·
m0thafukingBabyMaker
365 Posts
before you do, bear in mind that if you remove the ridge completely, the opening will be too large and the weight will be on the lugnuts instead of the hub. that's why I used the sanding drum method.
I have had mine done for a long time now and not one problem..all it dose is make the wheel Lug centric VS. Hub centric ...

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yes and No.

If your wheels have a conical lug nuts, those will center the wheel on the axle.
If not, then the hub is whats used to center the wheel.
If you took a wheel that had a 50mm hub opening and a flat seat lugs....then you put it on a vehicle with a 40mm hub, then there would be no way to properly center the wheel and you would have some massive vibrations.
These numbers are examples for you to get the idea.

ZQ8 wheels are conical lugs anyways.

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
Yes and No.

If your wheels have a conical lug nuts, those will center the wheel on the axle.
If not, then the hub is whats used to center the wheel.
If you took a wheel that had a 50mm hub opening and a flat seat lugs....then you put it on a vehicle with a 40mm hub, then there would be no way to properly center the wheel and you would have some massive vibrations.
These numbers are examples for you to get the idea.

ZQ8 wheels are conical lugs anyways.
Ok, but that had nothing to do with his question. He asked if, when you put different wheels on a vehicle, don't the wheels rely on the lugs unless you got wheels with exactly the right hub opening. He didn't mean keeping them centered.

·
brakes hate me
3,721 Posts
Excuse me if this sounds dumb, but what's the sanding drum method?
use a sanding drum in a drill to machine out the ridge. start with coarse to remove material, work up to fine to hone it.

·
Independent
4,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a flap disc and it worked awesome, couple of minutes for each rim and I only had to do the last one a little longer cause I was getting anxious and didn't take as long to do it and the flap was wearing out. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ok, but that had nothing to do with his question. He asked if, when you put different wheels on a vehicle, don't the wheels rely on the lugs unless you got wheels with exactly the right hub opening. He didn't mean keeping them centered.
Think about it, if the hub doesnt center the wheel, then how can it support its weight when the wheel is rolling down the road.

·
Wannabe Dragger
1,714 Posts
Think about it, if the hub doesnt center the wheel, then how can it support its weight when the wheel is rolling down the road.
Read first. I didn't say anything about that. Someone else asked a question and he responded with an answer that hand nothing to do with what he asked. I was just merely stating that fact, not asking any questions or doubting what he said.

·
Registered
490 Posts
calm down there defensive...

I did read. And then I re-read just to make sure that I wasnt correcting something that didnt need it. The centering of the wheel can only be achieved by supporting the weight... its one and the same. So therefore, it had everything to do with answering his question. Regardless, its a moot point now... he has conical seats, we're done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts