S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slayer of Hemis
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my truck has been rough starting for about 18 months now. It takes 2-4 turns of the key to get it started. It has just over 115K on the odo.

It still has the origional plugs an wires, but new cap, rotor, fuel filter, alternator, and battery. Will plugs an wires solve the problem or could it be the starter?
Is rough starts a trait of a car in need of a tune up?

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
It could be your starter showing signs of age, battery may have low cranking amps, fuel pump may be weak, Ignition spark could be weak. There are many things that can contribute to longer than normal cranking times but its very hard to diagnose a longer crank time, especially when it still starts up within 2-4 turns, Its probably fine IMHO. I just rebuilt the motor, new battery, new ignition, new alternator, and new fuel pump and my truck still takes a few times to start, Your truck is probably fine.

·
Early Member
3,166 Posts
Hard to start cold? Battery, fuel or electrical.
Hard to start hot? Air filter clogged, fuel, electrical.

So, I would go ahead and replace your spark plug wires and coil. Check you air filter and fuel pressure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My '94 vortec is a mutha to start. akes about 3-4 seconds of cranking to get it to start cold. hot it is fine usually. I am thinking intake. because it stumbles all over itself at idle, and has wayyyyyyy below average power. it surges going down the road, and has no thrown codes....

·
Early Member
3,166 Posts
Boonman, have you checked your EGR?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Guys, its not his starter, as he says, the truck turns over fine, it just won't fire.

I'm thinking your fuel filter is clogged.

What year is your truck?

·
Early Member
3,166 Posts
No one said anything about his starter.

·
LIL RED ROCKET
602 Posts
i would replace the plugs and plug wires...... while you are doing that check to see what the resistance of the wires or....if there is to much to would be hard to start. compare the old wires to the new ones.

·
Vortec 350 s10
840 Posts
Id start with one of the more common problems...(atleast that Ive ran into working on these things)...Fuel pump relay..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some of those older 4.3 engines had problems with the CPI leaking really bad in the intake. IF it leaks in your intake its taking longer to get enough fuel pressure built up, and would crank longer. Ya need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge turn the key on and watch the gauge, if it drops its a good chance its that CPI, and it might also be the two plastic return and pressure lines inside the intake. The CPI is kinda pricy, if I remember...

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Yea, but we don't know his year of engine which would really help us help him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
boonman said:
My '94 vortec is a mutha to start. akes about 3-4 seconds of cranking to get it to start cold. hot it is fine usually. I am thinking intake. because it stumbles all over itself at idle, and has wayyyyyyy below average power. it surges going down the road, and has no thrown codes....
possible distributor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
just a suggestion also, if none of the above works...i replaced fuel filter, CPI ($400), plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fixed a vacuum leak between intake and manifold to solve a rough idle/rough start in my 94 s10...however, while intake was off I noticed I had gasoline sitting inside the manifold on the right side...Ironically the 3 plugs on the right side were black and carbonized as well..problem was a leak in one of the two main fuel lines running in the back of the intake/manifold...dealer sells a kit to fix these for around 80 bucks if i remember with new plastic tubings and the works...this probably never caused my rough idle, but probably caused my long cranks when the engine was cold, as whatever fuel was in the lines probably seeped into out causing the lines to be dry after the truck hadnt run for a day or so...just a suggestion....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts