S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 2.8 with a couple issues. 1. oil blowing into the air cleaner. The PCV has been replaced. 2. rough idle at operating temps, gas rich fumes when it is started. The carburator has is new and has been proffessionally adjusted several times. I have replaced the ignition module and the head gaskets have been replaced. Basically, when it is first started, it blows gas rich smoke from the exhaust but will then run fine. When it reaches operating temp, it will miss at idle like it is only firing on 5 cylinders and will sometimes die. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, David

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem seems to be fixed. Turns out it was an EFE relay (Early Fuel Evaporator). The spacer below the carb has a ceramic heater to warm the vapor when the car is cold. If it doesn't switch off when the car gets warm, it will run like it is out of tune.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,609 Posts
On my truck the element had disintegrated and was leaking air into the manifold. In my case I just put a gasket there and the issue was fixed. Well, as good as it was gonna be fixed with that crappy carburetor that was on it. Glad to hear you got it going.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the problem never was really fixed....until now. I ran a compression test and ran 130-135 psi per cylinder so that wasn't it. But while running the test, I noticed that there was an open vacum nipple on the egr valve. I found the hose and reconnected it, and it runs better than it ever has in years, going on two days now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts