S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a factory GM roll pan the other day and am now debating just painting the bumper or installing the roll pan.

The biggest thing is messing with the lights. The GM pan has a place for them but my current lights won't fit. I am not a fan of hacking the factory harnesses. Does anyone know of a factory part that will mount the existing sockets into the roll pan? I would like to go with the roll pan but just don't know. I never have used the bumper (of coarse I will need it after the roll pan goes on).

Basically I would like to know if I just need the factory housings for the lights and could use the existing sockets I have. Any ideas? I know alot of you guys have put these factory pans on your trucks. What did you do?

·
Registered
128 Posts
How much does that GM pan cost? And I don't understand the problem with the lights. Are you saying there are holes in the pan for brake, signal and back up lights? Or are you talking about the liscense plate lights?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Was that $36 from the dealer? Sorry if I sound stupid here, but I just can't believe the dealer sells ANYTHING for less than a hundo.

·
Registered
253 Posts
you have to but the socket's, retainers, wire harness & housing

it will go for about $100, but you still have to tap the cables to the current harness, and just remove the bulbs from your old socket's, don't cut the old sockets, just tap the cables...

is easy, 2 cables only.... you will spend about $200 total with the cost of roll pan, all cables & paint or return the roll pan to the dealer, get your $35 back and order a Sir Michaels, they don't use lights, but you still pay about $100 for the rollpan, plus you have to pay for the wealding & painting.... about $150 for a total of $250+

PS. if you use the GM, you can still remove it if you need to tow wiht you original bumper (save it)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I think I found what I need just one question to anyone that might know. Are the sockets the same on a bumpered truck and a truck with a factory roll pan? I think I found the housings if the sockets are the same all I need are the housings.

Also does anyone know the part number for the factory housings on trucks with a factory roll pan?

·
Registered
253 Posts
no, the rollpan uses a diferent type, but if you find (I asume parked on a bad area) a truck with factory roll pan, you can use all parts for your truck:stupid:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't have a real long list of things I want to change on my truck. But this is one of them, so I am very interested in this. The SirMichaels pan doesn't have a spot for the liscense plate lights, but aren't they required?

·
Registered
253 Posts
not really ,:whogives: but it depends on tha Law on your State....

here in NorCali I seen many w/o lights, but you can also buy the licence Plate frame w/ light for about $15 (check your local autoparts store) just an idea

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just checked out that SirMichaels web site. $147.74 VS $36 at the dealership. Is the Sir Micheals painted? If not, I don't understand the price differance. it seems it is alot easier to just bolt on a pan after getting it painted, and back painting it with rustoleum than having it welded into place.

·
Registered
253 Posts
to me :finger: SirMichaels

:bs:

get the GM:rolleyes:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pretty strong opinion there not2low. What's the story?

·
Registered
27 Posts
my factory rollpan didn't come with any hardware! How do i go about bolting it on? And do the factory lights fit in the socket that goes with the rollpan. thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
before I got my GM, I called SirMichaels for some info, because I din't know how to install it and they told me in few words..:whogives:

so :shrug: i got the GM, it's cheaper, and to me better looking...:twak:

·
Registered
893 Posts
heres the deal back when i ordered mine i was told i needed a few extra parts...basically a different housing setup and clamps...I dont see how or why you would need to change tha harness id have to check again to be sure. It also seems un-GM to make them go through the hassle of have two diiferent lamp housing/harness'. to mount the sucker.....there are several holes on the top lip...line them up with the holes that should already be on the truck and go at it....the choice of hardware is up to you. A simple self tappin screw will do. There are also tabs on the bottom that you can attatch. Heres an idea....make yours custom...Dont like the light hole setup. Cut it and put what you want...Thats what i intend on doin. Basically you are gettin a preformed piece of sheet metal for cheap....might as well make it custom to you.you can tap the existing harnes for power and whatever...hell you could even weld it in.

SirMichaels' do not come painted, that would be insanly expensive..paint, fragile shipping so it doesnt get damaged.....

But again if your feelin frisky and just want some lights go out and find and older model full size or even an s10 withthe rollpan and jack the lights...all you do is reach under, pull out the wedge clamp and disc the light housing and presto. If you wanna see more i would suggest you hit up a dealership and take a look at one installed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
OH yeah and i live in cali too.....never been pulled over for not havin lights....Could be im lucky cuz its gotta be illegal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
maybe this will help

if the gm roll pan has a spot for the license plate they make some pretty cool billet license plate frames with a light on top maybe you guys could do that.....just a thought

·
Registered
893 Posts
there is but there are also holes in it for oem light housings so those would have to be filled and shaved

·
Registered
128 Posts
When i was at the dealership today i checked into buying that GM roll pan. $46.50, not $36 and that's the price, sorry. God them fVckers piss me off sometimes. Well, actually most of the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts