1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
Almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Can't tell from the vid, the sound is slightly distorted.
My second guess would be a lifter or 2.
Take a length of 1/2" heater hose or similar and use it like a stethoscope. Put one end to the valve cover, the other to your ear. Move up and down the VC to see if you hear a ticker.
You put a performance cam in this, yes?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got home from work. Same noise up until warm up pretty much and then the video attached is just after getting home.

Could very well be exhaust related.

Don't think it's rod knock if my thinking is correct.

No cam. I might have to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1i9NaD0n34

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Max,

I was just looking at something and it dawned on me, if the LA1 short block uses the same crank as the 93-95 camaros and firebirds.

Do you know if the block itself is the same? I know the l32's use the iron heads, and the LA1's use the aluminum.

whoops...nevermind....LA1 were transverse blocks.....

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
Raven proably knows more about this, but to my knowledge, they have different blocks. The motor mount configuration is different on the FWD engines.

I also know they use alloy oil pans on many of the FWD 3.4s - does this mean the oil pan fasteners are in different locations?
I'm not sure.

I haven't messed with many FWD examples other than seeing the engines on the ground at Upulls. Next time I see one, I'll pay more attention.

What would be an interesting swap is a DOHC 3.4 V6 into an S10...

Oh, BTW, use the hose trick and listen around the covers and exhaust ports/manifolds.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do that this afternoon from a cold start.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been so side tracked with other stuff that I haven't had a chance to check further, but, I did ask a coworker that I drove past in the parking lot if he heard anything when I drove past him.

He said he did not and was paying attention. I heard the noise in the cab, but he did not and he was about 5 feet away.

I'm thinking it's most likely an exhaust leak.

I'm going to get underneath it this weekend because I have an AEM uego AFR gauge showing up today and will be adding a bung to the pipe.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
You know what Bill? I also own a 93 Ford F-150 we affectionately call "Earl". There is a noise in the cab of the truck. Definitely has an exhaust leak since it doesn't have a muffler...but it sounds almost like a connecting rod about to come apart when you race the engine or under a certain amount of load. Here's the deal though. There isn't ANY noise under the hood or laying underneath it. You can open the door and listen...no noise. The noise can only be heard from inside the cab. What??

It runs perfect, and has been doing that for as long as I have had it (8 months). I don't have a clue as to what is wrong with it. I pretty much quit caring since it's not the motor coming apart. Bulletproof 300 6cyl.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,383 Posts
Tell you what is cool. I must be living right. I was dumping some garbage at the dump on Saturday and a guy next to me had a pretty shiny new looking muffler he was chunking. Said his kid took it off (im guessing so his Honda would sound like a race car or something). Anyway, it was a pretty damn big muffler considering it came from a Honda. Flange and all was like new. He said I could have it. I put it on Earl (the Ford F150) and not only did it fit perfectly, it was nice and quiet. On top of that? The noise that sounded like the engine coming apart? Gone. It had to have been exhaust rattling something inside the cab or some weird harmonic of the exhaust hitting the floorboard. Anyway, the noise is gone. Might be same issue with your truck then Bill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts