S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2000 s10 with the 4.3 and its a five speed. i was just wondering how involved this job is. i was thinking about rebuilding the motor piece by piece with the bottom end being first. and another question is that when i turn my truck off it knocks a little bit and when the a/c is on it knocks so much louder than at idle but when its off you can barely hear it at idle, also when i am slowing down to turn into a road or park it i can hear it knocking a little bit als. with about a second interval inbetween each knock. any ideas would be much appreciated. i kinda thought rod bearings thats one of the reasons why i was going to do the bottom end bearings.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
replacing the bearing is pretty extensive. you hae to remove eng and take bottom end apart. my exp has been to have crank checked and get teh proper bearing for it.

what type weight oil are you using. Also how many miles. you may be able to go to a 10-40 weight oil or even 20-50 and the noise stop. if you are runnign 5-30 and it being 100 degrees outside your oil is like water and has very little lubrication ability.

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
replacing the bearing is pretty extensive. you hae to remove eng and take bottom end apart. my exp has been to have crank checked and get teh proper bearing for it.

what type weight oil are you using. Also how many miles. you may be able to go to a 10-40 weight oil or even 20-50 and the noise stop. if you are runnign 5-30 and it being 100 degrees outside your oil is like water and has very little lubrication ability.
X2

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its got about 85000 and im using 10w-30. i do Alot of highway driving. about 100 miles aday at like 75. and i use castrol gtx

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok just came across something. i had the a/c on and i pushed in the clutch and the knock went away but when i released the clutch it came back again. i just had a rebuilt transmission put in, and a centerforce dual friction clutch, new flywheel, and slave cylinder. i replaced the tranny because i thought the knock was throwout bearing or an input shaft bearing. if this needs to go to another section in the forums just let me know and ill create a new post.

·
2,679 Posts
ok just came across something. i had the a/c on and i pushed in the clutch and the knock went away but when i released the clutch it came back again. i just had a rebuilt transmission put in, and a centerforce dual friction clutch, new flywheel, and slave cylinder. i replaced the tranny because i thought the knock was throwout bearing or an input shaft bearing. if this needs to go to another section in the forums just let me know and ill create a new post.
Maybe you should ask a repitable machanic to take a look at it for you and show him the symptoms.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well thats why i bought the rebuilt transmission in the first place, and then i heard the knock and since it was under warranty i had it replaced again, and same damn thing is happening so i mean my last resort is the centerforce clutch. i dont know where else to go.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes sir. im stumped man, i thought it could of been rod and main bearings like the title says but last night when i pushed in the clutch and the noise shut up i didnt think it was the bearings anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts