S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older RockFord Fosgate amp that I am running in the Firebird. I hooked it up about a year ago or so and it's been working fine since, BUT I keep having issues with the ground wire sliding out of the stupid connection at the amp.
Every other amp I've dealt with has used basic spade connectors which are nicely held in place with screws. This amp has little holes that the wire is suppose to go into, then a screw tightens it down. I couldn't find a connector that would fit into the hole, so I've just been shoving the wire into the hole and tightening the screw down.
Is there a better way? Is there a certain type of connector which does fit nicely into these holes?

Holes I am referings are on the right side in this pic:

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't remember what ga. I used...Either 4 or 6 ga, but it barely fits into the hole as is; like I've gotta twist the stripped end up really tight to make it fit in those holes.

I was thinking maybe I could use a bullet connector, but my local parts store didn't have anything in a big enough ga.

·
Is that Home Brew?!?
2,240 Posts
tin the end of the wire with solder. That will make a solid connector that the screw should be able to hold down.

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tin the end of the wire with solder. That will make a solid connector that the screw should be able to hold down.
^This guy is thinking!
I am actually gunna try calling RF first, just because soldering the wire which is down in the "T-top well" is gunna be a bitch, unless I pull it apart, which is also gunna suck.

·
-------------
2,760 Posts
You might as well start soldering. I have one of these older RF amps also and have have used them for years. There were no special terminals made for these amps, they were designed to have the power wires stuck directly into them.

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talk about a Sh*t design. Oh well...Thanks guys

·
-------------
2,760 Posts
The only thing I can suggest if you want to try something before you start trying to tin the wires, is to not twist the power wires before you insert them into the connectors.

Try this, cut the twisted end off of the power wire and then strip back the insulation to get a fresh end. Then very carefully insert the power wires back into the amp without twisting them and tighten it down really good. If they will not fit straight in then the power wire you are using is probably too large for the amp connector. In that case you can carefully cut off some of the strands until the wires fit in easily and snugly.

The problem with twisting up the wire ends is that when you twist it the bare end of the wire it effectively gets shorter and thicker... then after time it will gradually un-twist which will effectively make it thinner which losens it in the connector.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Why not get a battery cable copper splice of the correct gauge ?
Once you determine what size splice would fit into the hole, you
can solder the cable into the splice, then insert the splice into
the amp's connector holes and tighten them down. Since they
will be solid, the set screws should have something to wedge
against. You can trim the length of the splice shorter as needed.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Copper-Compression-Splices /p_1010

·
Urban Hick
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^ This is a good idea. Thanks man!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts