S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see tons of adds for cute step bars.
Does anyone know a company that sells real rock solid Nerf bars. I had a set of step bars and when I came down on a bolder it ripped the bolts right out of the end of the bars. After all I think that the original purpose for these things was to protect the side of the truck from rocks not to stand on.

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
You can fab up a set of rock sliders pretty easy. The aftermarket tube crap will not hold up to rocks. I would suggest square tube and attach it to the frame and body if possiable.If you want round tube, go thick wall .25 or more and come up passed the body a little for protection.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
Nerf bars, i just hate. they always get stuck on stumps, rocks, fallen trees, ect. i have yet to see a design i like. rocksliders are a better, idea tho, so long as theyre mounted high.

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I'm familiar with rock sliders.
Are we talking about 2"sq, 3”sq, 3” round stock mounted directly to the frame? Or on brackets up even with the door bottom, I hate that if they bend the door won’t open. Square ends or turned, rounded, ends. I may have seen something made out of angle iron one time that might be what we are talking about. All I know is the crap I see for $300 I wouldn't use on my garden tractor.

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the way to aedofab.

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice product, clean lines not gaudy. I like the square stock. Tight to the body. Now does this mount to the body or the frame?

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should have looked at the install guides before I opened my
BIG MOUTH $%$#@$%^^&!

·
got SFA?
901 Posts
mounts to the frame. thats where they get the majority of thier strengh. If they were body mounted, they body would crumple....thus defecting their purpose.

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup I saw that. They sure do look strong. Thanks

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah, I'm to much of a Chev guy to care.

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
Geoff03 said:
mounts to the frame. thats where they get the majority of thier strengh. If they were body mounted, they body would crumple....thus defecting their purpose.

Mounting to the body AND the frame is a way of strenghting the whole system. If you bolt a tube/square slider on to the frame and not the body you are putting the stress and weight on what ever extention you bolted to the frame. On my rockcrawler(not a S10) I bolted the rocker protection to the body AND the frame. This way I don't have to worry if the rocker skid is going to bent in to the body and do damage......Get it?

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That makes more sence to me. The running board is a stiff, strong area of the truck, it could only help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mounting to the body and frame both is not a good idea. The body is rubber mounted to eliminate vibration. If you solid mount between them, all the stress will be transfered into the fastners holding them on, or into the area they are fastened to. For the most strength, and least chance of damage, they should be frame mounted.

The sliders from Mike Aedo are a very strong design, and will take a ton of abuse. I run a set of his on my truck. On the Ultimate Adventure I would climb over a rock with the front tire, drop the truck on the slider and drag the length of the truck, then climb over it with the rear tire. All I did was scratch the powder coat off, no damage the bars at all. These will protect the rockers, even with the weight of the truck on them.

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that's true too.
You would be solid remounting the body to the frame with the slider mounts. And it would be noisy as hell without the rubber mounts. In a speciality truck with solid mounts , not rubber or urethane, it might be OK?
Mike's sliders really do look super strong.
So they are worth the money?

·
Mall wheeler
215 Posts
Well I didn't think about the S10 body twisting, there is not much twist in a Samurai...LOL Those aedofab sliders look pretty stout.

·
Registered
403 Posts
bob393 said:
Yah, I'm to much of a Chev guy to care.
Ya besides a dakota is a Dodge and I didnt care for them when they were American. But now there foreign thats even worse.

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
they do make some nice engines...well, the 318 and the 383 are. thats it. the fact that they offer a V8 in dakotas would be nice....if the V8 actually had V8 power, which it doesnt.

·
Always in the Dirt
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
C h e v - E, C h e v - E, C h e v - E, !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts