S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I just recently joined the S-10 forum, but have been into 4x4 for a few years. My S-15 is mostly stock, but has some lighting and interior mods so far. I use it as a daily driver so I haven't done anything to the suspension or put on bigger tires yet. It's a great all-purpose vehicle. It claws through the bush, tows other vehicles, carries furniture and other stuff, doubles as a tent with the canopy on, motors on the highway(just over 100 so far) and makes a good entertainment centre.
The truck has a fastback with driving lights and a set of rear-facing spotlights. They come in handy for flashing people that come up behind you with their hi-beams on! For clearing a path in front of me, I have a cb radio with a pa speaker mounted behind the bumper. Another toy is the scanner radio mounted on a custom overhead shelf.
This spring, the truck will be receiving an engine transplant and tranny rebuild, hopefully with some performance parts added(cam, intake, fuel system, headers, shift kit, etc.) Once my finances are up to par again, I might consider a couple inches of body lift and some 33's if they will fit.
Common problems on S trucks: vacuum switch controlling front diff craps out. In my case it was stuck in 4wheel, so I have to connect it manually at the vacuum pot. Corroded wiring from the dist to the coil caused intermittent starting problems; distributor has been replaced 3 times due to worn bushings; that may be due to high mileage(230,000 mi). I'm really surprised that the tranny still works fine, though the shifts are starting to lag a little.
The little light panel that shows t-case selection doesn't work either, but that's not a big problem. Glove box door hinges are almost always broken in older trucks. I'm sure all you S-truck owners know most of this stuff by now!
Most of the problems I've encountered are due to high mileage, so I can't complain much about the stuff I've replaced. I personally think the remote oil filter setup helps prolong the life of the crank and conrod bearings, as mine have just started to make noise on cold starts. My biggest gripe about the trucks is the dash design. It's hard to add accessories without cutting up plastic, and there's no friggin' drink holders! What were those General Morons thinking? It's 4x4, therefore the truck will occasionally see uneven terrain. The best solution I've seen so far is a bicycle bottle holder. It kinda looks tacky, but it's cheap and it works. Just have to find a spot for it!
Ok, that's it for my S-10 novel. Got any ideas, tips, suggestions, rants? Let me know. I have photos too. Talk to ya later!

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
edmonton eh... i'm about an hour south of you, lacombe. if your into the 4x4 thing, you should join s10 extremists, lots of info, most any question you need an awnser to, someone there has an awnser to. I'm a member, there my alias is ruff ryda 420.

on the note of the vaccum actuator, look into the posi-lok cable operated hubs, i don't have it(my hubs still work fine), but i've heard good things. or you could go the home brew method too... ask about it on the s10 extremists site, a couple of guys have done it. i was also wondering about the cup holders too, there's those stupid things on the door of the glove box, and the jack cover on the ex. cab but nothing for the driver... might have to buy one of those glue on ones from canadian tire... of just keep on putting it(NO, the bottle) between my legs.

you could fit the 33s with a t-bar tweak, shackles and a body lift, but be prepared to do some trimming and hammer work. also the BW cut outs wouldn't be a bad addition too.

:evilg: :scary: :evilg:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts