S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to test the waters here on a problem i have and see what you guys think.
I am no Mechanic and thats probably reason #1 that i shouldnt have bought an s-10 w/ a v8 but i have a serious problem w/ it now.
My "buddy" that has helped me work out all the bugs with it since it was a "Project Truck" was finished with it when we realized that the water pump had gone out. He started to pull the pump off and got nervous that some of the bolts were going to snap off so he drove it to a local shop where his buddy let him borrow a torch to loosen up the bolts. He got that straight but on the way back to his house where i was in the meantime he called and said he finally found the vibration that he had been describing to me. He then proceeded to tell me that a rod or crank bearing had let go and he was limping it back to his house. A couple of minutes he pulled up babying it to get there and sure enough when you rev the motor there is a bad knock.:rant:
I cant really get upset about it even if he was being hard on it because if it didnt happen to him it would have happended to me.
The issue i have is hwether or not im getting ripped off since he told me "Dont worry, im gonna help you out with this labor cost" since i recently helped him install new carpet in his house for alomst free labor.
He then tells me that he will pull the motor out rebuild the crank, re-ring the motor, install a camshaft and lifters, button everthing back up and re-install it in the truck for $800.00 plus parts!!!!!!!!!!!:(
AM i being rediculous in saying that the worst "buddy" deal iv'e ever heard of or what?:rant:
Im kinda screwed because its in his yard and he's alreay started to take off the frontend of the truck and get started. I will say one thing though, he's a perfectionist and it will be right but im afraid of taking a chance of taking it to another shop and really getiing it handed to me.
Just wanted to know what you guys thought.:eek:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would do it for $800 PLUS parts in a heartbeat!!!!! If thats tells ya how great a deal hes givin you :)

·
UNBANNED BITCHES!!
2,007 Posts
nolongergreen said:
My "buddy" that has helped me work out all the bugs with it since it was a "Project Truck" was finished with it when we realized that the water pump had gone out. He started to pull the pump off and got nervous that some of the bolts were going to snap off so he drove it to a local shop where his buddy let him borrow a torch to loosen up the bolts
well for starters...i wouldnt let anybody even start my truck with a "water pump had gone out".....let alone drive it.....:rant:

·
built for stangs
231 Posts
Tell him you will give him 500.00. that would be worth it.

·
Give me 3 yrs...
6,526 Posts
if he was ur buddy hed do it for a case of beer with u helping him all hed charge u was parts costs

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well after telling him that he basically didnt budge. I guess this is a friendship that is about to end quickly.
It just sucks because im kinda in a hard place about this. For some reason people tell me no just because of the custom factor without even seeing it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
your stuck in a dammed if you do dammed if you dont situation are you two really really good buddys? If you are you wont be after its all said and done. Its obvious that you feel hes screwed you in one way or another the only question is what you gonna do about it? Tough call, you said you dont know much about motors so mabey nows a good time for you to learn. Let him pull the motor then take it back to your place to tear it down dont throw away anything get someone who knows what their lookin at to check out your bearings to see what failed once you figured out what the problem is start on machine work and a rebuild there are books and videos out there to help you not to mention the guys on here call it a lesson learned and tell your buddy that you dont wanna hurt his feelins but this is somethin you wanna do yourself thean when its done take it back to his house and let him put it back in for you the other alternative....... Go whip his ass for tearin up your truck take a bat with you if you have to lol good luck

·
takes 2 balls in our game
5,666 Posts
I install carpet for a living too, He has no idea how hard it is to install floor covering compared to turning a few wrenches.I would say if he was in when it blew he should have enuff balls to fix it then.hell,if he is a mechanic,he would have had enough since to keep an eye out for the temp.if thats what caused it or his right foot??let some ass wipe (friend) blow my stuff up,and not offer to fix it,it is on for sure!!!

·
Ooh, Crack Attack
674 Posts
How's that go again when someone borrows your ride??...Oh Yeah, You break it you bought it..............

LOL....Google is showing ad's for Vibrator motors and Hand pumps......LMAO:rotf:

·
gtfo now
1,610 Posts
The only people I let drive my truck are my immediate family and my g/f when I'm drunk/dead-ass tired. That was your first mistake. Second was not getting the details worked out ahead of time. And yeah, if it was me I'da done it for a case a beer plus parts and I don't even know you. I just like workin on dimes >8)

·
Ridin Dirrty
794 Posts
s10-den said:
I install carpet for a living too, He has no idea how hard it is to install floor covering compared to turning a few wrenches

Possibly one of the most ingorant statements on this forum

Im not discounting the difficulty of installing flooring. Ive done some tile work, and yes, its very labor intensive, but you make it sound like a monkey can build a motor. Anyone can put a motor together, not everyone can build them right with the correct tollerances.

·
takes 2 balls in our game
5,666 Posts
T Man 383 said:
Possibly one of the most ingorant statements on this forum

Im not discounting the difficulty of installing flooring. Ive done some tile work, and yes, its very labor intensive, but you make it sound like a monkey can build a motor. Anyone can put a motor together, not everyone can build them right with the correct tollerances.
You have no idea what the hell you are talking about.ANYONE can turn wreches,ANY KID, my 5 year old son can turn wrenches... My 13 year old daughter can build a 5 horse briggs now what...ANY monkey with a little since can build a motor ANYONE can LAY tile....Let me get you on a kicker and see what happens. do you know what that is???I was telling him compared to installing floor covering,well, aint even gonna go there..If it was my shit and some idiot blew it up like was said in another post..."YOU BOUGHT IT"..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quite frankly, If you choose to own/drive a modified vwhicle, and DO NOT have the mechanical aptitude to have built it yourself or be able to maintain it.
You may not have got what you deserve, but you certainly got what you asked for. Sorry Bud, you wanted to get laid, but got F^%&$D instead.

·
Ridin Dirrty
794 Posts
s10-den said:
You have no idea what the hell you are talking about.ANYONE can turn wreches,ANY KID, my 5 year old son can turn wrenches... My 13 year old daughter can build a 5 horse briggs now what...ANY monkey with a little since can build a motor ANYONE can LAY tile....Let me get you on a kicker and see what happens. do you know what that is???I was telling him compared to installing floor covering,well, aint even gonna go there..If it was my shit and some idiot blew it up like was said in another post..."YOU BOUGHT IT"..:rolleyes:
Hell yes i know what a kicker is, like i said, im not discounting the skill it takes to lay floor covering right, so back the **** off my nuts for that no need to be an asshole about it. You blew my statment waaay out of context and now you sound like a giant douche bag. Anyone can turn wrenches, in the literal sense. Have your kid rebuild an automatic transmission, better yet, why dont you rebuild one? Just because after a motor is built you arent sweaty and your back hurts, and youve been on your knees all day does not in anyway make it less difficult. You chose your trade, now dont make it sound like you are saving the world by laying carpet. I said i did tile because I know its not as difficult as carpet, yet i know mildly how labor intensive it is. Get your head out of your ass. You keep saying building motors and turning wrenches is so easy a monkey could do it, you are certanly gonna piss some people off around here. And how bout some pics and times for the briggs your daughter built.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
dude, I don't know, if hes buying all new shit tearing down the heads putting a decent cam in it etc etc, all that could be 800+ in parts EASY....dropping the oil pan and putting new bearings in wouldn't be no 800 bucks in parts though....so what is he actually going to do for you, build a motor? or rebuild what got ****ed??

1 - 20 of 46 Posts