S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help? I want to get rims that will have a backspacing large enough to bring at least the sidewall of the tire out flush with the widest part of the fenders. If I do this on front AND back, I'll need two different pairs of rims ... one pair wider for the back ... Right?
Also I have a site for a Wheel Calc. but I'm not sure what offset (mm) my rims are now, which would help in estimating what I need to buy. I suppose my question, in part, is ... Is the "offset in millimeters" the same thing as the measurement of the "backspacing in inches"? And if so, would having a 2" drop in front cause problems when I went to put a 17x9 wheel with 245/50 tire? [... I'm pretty sure it's 2 from what some guys told me at Xtreme Auto in Bartlett, TN. (Check that place out) If from the pic, mine doesn't look like 2", let me know. It was like that when I got it, and they focked it up by cutting the springs.]

From using the calculator below, I see I get some spread and slightly taller tire diameter from what I have now (which is ok b/c the rim/tire combo now is shorter than stock by about a half inch), if I change my offset by -13 or -14 mm.

Can anyone help?
Thanx in advance for anything.

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
You wont fit 9" wide rims up front. 8" should be as wide as you go, and if you want wide out back then either get another 9" with 4.5" backspacing or just a 10" wide rim with 4" backspacing I think... They'll probably be around the same. A 245/50 tire on 17x8 is a fat tire just so you know. I have 225/50/17 out back on my S10 and they are actually to wide and rub my ebrake cable..not good.

I take it you're going for the sport look not slammed look though so do you want bigger rims out back or the same size all the way around??

Nate

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely sport look. Wide stance, but not stupid like these little cars or trucks you see with the tires sticking out an inch past the edge of the fender. I want it flush. If I only knew what my backspacing was and how that relates to "offset" which is typically measured in millimeters, I would know what I wanted.

As far as the 8 inches wide ... I have 8.5 now. I might even keep 8.5 and just widen the tire. But I need to figure out what offset/backspacing I need to bring that extra width out away from the inside of the truck (to keep from rubbing).

Can anyone explain offset vs. backspacing?

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
back spacing is the distance from the mounting surface to the back lip of the wheel.
normally for a 8" wide wheel in front u want 4.5" b/s if u want it flush like your saying 4" b/s will do.
i wouldn't go over a 8.5 in front. so a 8.5" would need a b/s of 4.5"
rear u could go up to probably a 10-11" wheel n/p.
if u use the charts at the top of this section and - 1/2" off the b/s numbers it will get u really close for what u want.

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have also heard that backspacing was distance from front of mounting part to the front/outer lip of the wheel. This is all confusing.

Can anyone relate offset to backspacing? The difference?

·
former owner
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx a ton dude ... I can never seem to find anything when I search the web. But that's partly b/c I never take the time to look through the numerous results that I get back from Google. I don't have the time to take. Thanx again Twin
Now I guess I need to quit being lazy and just physically measure my rims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts