S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm new here. I don't own a S-10, maybe in the future... although I don't fit in em too good.

Sorry for a noob question, but my dad's girlfriend has an 87 S-10 5spd for a yard truck. Has about 120k...but anyways, I know it has an inline 4-banger, not sure if its the 1st generation though or the 2.2l. I always thought it was a 1.8L, but I dont see a forum for that. I haven't had a look under the hood yet, but is this the right place?

Reason I ask is apparently she "sprunk a leak" with coolant. Ain't the radiator/water pump or anything, my dad says it looks like its coming from the rear of the engine (neither of us have had a decent look at it) so I'm guessing at least a blown gasket. She said the coolant was low anyhow, so maybe it just got too hot and fried the gasket? I dunno, but I'm thinking it might be a cracked head/block or whatever, hopefully not but this truck gets worked hard and gets real hot, so I wouldn't doubt it.

You guys have any good sources for rebuilt/new heads and blocks for this truck? I'm not even sure if this is the problem, but it'd be nice to have any links for future reference.

Thanks a bunch guys (and gals if you're out there!), and sorry for the newbie q's again. Cheers for help! :beer:

·
Registered
142 Posts
yo

The 2.5's were used in the 80's to replace the 1.8 or 1.9. It was used till 93 or 94. So yea, its most likely got the 2.5. The 2.2 didnt come out until the second gens, 94. For the leak, i would just focus on finding where it came from exactly. On my old buick regal, anti freeze kept dripping at back of motor, comes to find out, it was leaking in front and the fan was blowign it all backwards. But yea, it could be coming for the head. If the block was cracked it would have to be at the water jacket area, it could be the intake manifold? Just check around. Honestly, if htis truck just gets beat all the time and is for work use, just run the thing till it blows up. These 2.5's are very tough and dependable motors. A replacement motor, complete new from gm is around 1k or more, it varies. You could go to a junk yard, but finding a good used one might be hard as these motors were put to use. Its hard to crack these blocks, especially the s-10 blocks as they were stronger, so were the cranks. I do not have any links for stock replacement parts, but Ebay frequently has 2.5 crate motors and always seem to have heads. If its the head, it could be warped, if thats the case, just get it resurfaced and u will be good to go. Sorry couldnt be more help. good luck. roy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts