S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 reg cab, long bed, ls6, 4l70
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I post this in the general suspension section because mainly this is a ride quality question and not a I want to go this low or up and down question.

Hello, I recently got a 02 Extreme Blazer back I once had :) and I'm definately keeping it. Right now its on jacks in my garage getting a few things taken care of like moving the rear calipers to front side of axle so that they do not rub on the SD 2.25" notch that is welded in. Pretty much its going to be there the rest of the winter.

To my main qoal, I am wanting to make my blazer glide smooothe down the road, so I am wondering which would absorb those cracks in the interstate that make you go "da-dunk da-dunk" and of coarse just regular rough roads QA1 coilovers or Air suspension ?

The current setup is ZQ8 plus 3" DJM LCA in the front with stock shocks in the front and for the rear ZQ8 plus removed 2nd longest leaf and 3" angled blocks with competition engineering adjustible drag shocks. Rolling on ZQ8 wheels with 235/55r16 cooper radials. Which does a good job but I want something like a luxery car, maybe I'm just getting older.

What I am wanting to do for the front is -
Doorman lower control arms de-humped possibly ,Doorman upper control arms, Beltech 2" drop spindles

For the rear -
Paralell 4 link with front bracket where OEM hanger would be and upper and lower bars both under the axle with panhard bar, leave the sway bar off

Tires will be 245/50r16 and I want to achieve an over all drop of 5/6 give or take a half inch. If Air suspension can prove to be better it will be set up to maintain a ride hight and not for dragging.

Thank you for your time and I value your knowledgeable input.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ill give you my thoughts on QA1 b/c thats what I have in my truck. They ride great, lots of adjustability on the single adjustable shocks from very firm to soft. They are not cheap, even the base non-adjustable are almost $400 but you get what you pay for.

You can pick 2 or 3 spring rates depending on what you want to do with the truck, and even if you get a softer spring rate if you get the adjustable shocks you can firm them up with a twist of a knob. Overall, you may get a better ride from air bags but I feel you get better performance from the coil overs.

Air bags are nice, but you have to run air lines and mount a compressor and tank. If you are going to buy new control arms you mind as well go with tubular for more strength and weight savings. I just put on UMI Performance lowers and they fit great. They are for a G-body so the only thing I needed to do was open up the rear mount holes to 1/2" and get new 1/2" grade 8 hardware for both front and back mounts.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will look into the control arms. Overall I am leaning torwards coilovers from everything else I have heard, but from the way air sleeves and bags work i figured I would ask

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not have the original lowers and the uppers need new ball joints and bushings so figured get replacements

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
i coulda bagged my truck front/rear with a whole bunch of money to spare if i hadn't set up my rear suspension for coilovers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts