S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drive It Like U Stole It!
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 96 Jimmy 4.3 auto. My problem is this, the rev limiter is kicking in too early. When I'm going down the road, as long as I keep the RPMs bellow 4000 I'm ok and the engine does not stall out. But if I puss it too feel the power, the engine stalls out if I keep it above 4000 too long. Then the engine starts back up and I'm fine. As far as I know, this is what has been done to the truck:

Replaced the engine, (64,000 miles on the new one)
Replaced the A/C Compressor, (bearings were shot)
Replaced the Alternator, (with the wrong one, it has a three wire plug instead of one. Anybody know how to fix this. The alternator is bearly working because the voltage regulator is not letting any power out.)

This is all I know about it. It runs real strong but if I floor it or anything, It just stalls out. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. (Sorry for being long)

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
I dont think it stalling out. I think your running out of the powerband. I remeber when I used to have the stock cam in mine. After 4500 rpm you could feel a difference in power. It sucked. But now that I have a new cam its ok. :)

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright you idiots, its not a loss of power. the motor cuts off. the rpm's go to zero. hows that for reaching your powerband.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Whoa that really wasn't needed. Now all I can say is :whogives:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Settle down

Hey, settle down a lil bit lol. It sounds to me that your fuel pump is about to go out. This is the same thing that both of my previous trucks did. You can drive it normal and its fine, but when you get on it it cuts at about 3500-4000 rpms. I don't know how you would check to see if is going bad until it just dies completely. Anyways that is what i would say

·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the rude response but this is the third time I have posted this question and this is the first time I have received a response. As far as the fuel pump is concerened, the truck had a bad one when I received it so it did not even run. I have replaced it and now have this problem of it stalling when I push it hard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
well that is what is sounds like to me, but if yoiu just replaced it, throws my idea out the window. well man, good luck on finding the problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts