S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what a pain in the a$$.. i did a search in here and everyone that has posted about replacing a altenator said it was a pice of cake.
i replaced my water pump last summer and i would rather do that!! LOL
ok BTW.. I guess im missing somthing here it took me forever to just get the bolts
off the thing getting to them was the problem. removing the oil filter to get to the back bolt. well it's off but theres no ware to get it out of the engine compartment!! Anyways what am i missing?.. could someone post a step by step
on how to remove it?
Thank You in advance

98 S-10 138K it's been a great Truck

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
remove the oil filter to get to the back bolt??? wtf, that sounds nuts... sorry, i've got a 4.3, and removing that is a piece of cake... take me, like, 15 minutes literally for a swap. Never messed with the 2.2, but that sounds like a pain in the assssssssss! Well, if nobody helps you, my friend's got a cavalier I guess I could go look at, heh.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove your oil filter. Disconnect your battery, then just remove any air intake that would be in the way (if you have the stock one), then take the belt off, and if you want a bit of more room you can remove the computer, battery, and overflow tank. Then you can get to it with no problem and have pleny of room.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All I did was remove the fan shroud to give me some room to actually pull the alternator out of the bay. Whole job took like 20 minutes, total. Remove the oil filter?!?!? Are you sure you know what the alternator looks like?
ROTF umm ya ive replaced tons over the years.. i could remove a VW motor Air cooled in 20 minutes so i think what one looks like. I know you dont know what my wrenching skills are.. but for the most part there pritty good im just a back yard wrench. I try to do most of my stuff by myself to save money.. but thank you for asking...LOL

·
Ford Lightning Owner
5,875 Posts
When I did mine I didnt have to remove the oil filter. It took me about 45 mins to change out to a 180 amp alt and replace stock wires with zero gauge wire. I used shorty wrenches which helped out a lot, to reach the back bolts.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
mine took all of 20min to change, if i would have had a ratchet wrench it would have took 10-15, but it took forever to get the top bolt off unfer the intake manifold.

i also installed a 240 amp, big case gm alt. in that time too.

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
It is a real PITA I find removing the Pass wheel and going in through the fender gap is easy to get at the back then I removed all intake parts and wiggled it up around the AC lines lol

I have done mine 3 times lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well there ya go!! removed the shroud and out it came!! thank you all now i need a $%^& ride to get it tested.. but it's bad..wife took the big truck to work :-(
ill let ya know what the out come is.. thank you all for your help.. man did i have a huge brain fart!!!

·
'Stevie Joe'
6,466 Posts
DJDAudio said:
It is a real PITA I find removing the Pass wheel and going in through the fender gap is easy to get at the back then I removed all intake parts and wiggled it up around the AC lines lol

I have done mine 3 times lol
yea...there was no way i could get at it without taking the pass tire off too....and i just yanked real hard to get it outta the engine bay....took me almost an hour to swap in my 180 amp, lol

·
Fear My Stupidity
1,293 Posts
I am looking to upgrade to a higher amp alternator to compensate for my efan's high speed setting. Where is the best/cheapest place to go? Any part #'s. Thanks...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
now that im a pro...ROTF.. the best all around way to do the job is removing the air intake and the shroud .. gives you acess to the whole deal.
oh and the E fan deal who what and where.. i would like to install that as well.
get rid of the ole fan clutch set up and free a pony or two..

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
bladehines said:
mine took all of 20min to change, if i would have had a ratchet wrench it would have took 10-15, but it took forever to get the top bolt off unfer the intake manifold.

i also installed a 240 amp, big case gm alt. in that time too.
Yeah, those box end wrenchs with the ratchet built into them are a life saver.

·
Campin In Style
799 Posts
funny that you mentioned this. i replaced mine this morning on my 98 2.2. It was about as easy as pie. 3 bolts. I got all with a ratchet and a 13mm socket and a 15mm socket.

you think that was bad. try doing repairs on some of these new vehicles. i replaced the air filter on my aunts new montana. had to remove the TB and intake manifold to get to it!

·
Welding Member
6,314 Posts
i had a freind who took the fan shroud off an the intake i dont know if that made it any easier but he said it was i never had to change mine but i have changed my water pump that took me about 35 - 40 minutes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all fixed! took it to the zone it tested bad .. somthing we already knew. I woulda posted sooner but i buzzed the yard and all that hunnt do crap .. Again thank you all for your help and pointing a old fart that had a huge brain fart in the right dircetion!
i bought the life time unit but i think i got hosed it was 129.00 was the posted price and there was a core charge of 30.00 they said the price was with the core.
if thats the case then way didnt i see a price of 159.00 and a 130.00 price with the core .. hmm ill be calling the manager tomarow.. i see a 30.00 rebatein the future! the basterds!!
Again Thank You all for your help!
oh i ment in one of my replys the plastic intake parts not the intake thats bolted to the head! .. for some reason i cant eddit that post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL.. thats a new one. i got side tracked.. came back to my computer about a houe later and puff.

·
under construction
8 Posts
I just replaced my alternator last month and it was $120.00 with a life time warranty from discount auto with a $50.00 core charge great deal!!!:D......i had a ****in blast tryin to figure out how to get that damn thing outa there...i found removing the pass wheel and going through the fender wall is your best bet....u can get to all 3 bolts that way but trying to get the ****in thing out was a pain i had to wiggle the **** outa it though i got it out from the bottom took about 45 min. or so and i didnt have to remove anything other than the wheel....i pretty much just said everything everyone else in here is saying but eh it wont hurt anyone...

·
Welding Member
6,314 Posts
superunknownmoto said:
You only get like 5-10 minutes to edit your post from the original posting time.

i thought we got 30 min now

1 - 20 of 26 Posts