S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with a "plug and play" ECM replacement? If so, do you have any vendor recommendations? Or perhaps any alternative routes to ECM programming?

The vehicle: '94, 4.3L, V6, 206k miles

The challenge: Crank, but no start. Prior to that - random stalling, intermittent cranking, sluggish throttle. Also, some erratic electrical stuff - radio keeps turning itself on randomly (when truck is parked/off and no key is in the ignition), radio would lose it's memory from time-to-time, and one day the AC compressor just wouldn't come on.

The rundown of stuff I've done so far: The battery, starter, timing, compression, air flow/exhaust, and fuel system - all good. No spark. I've replaced the plugs, wires, distributor (cap, rotor, ignition module, etc.), ignition coil, and ignition starter switch. Also, all the wiring grounds seem good. As you may have inferred, I can change parts all day long, but I'm not a skilled diagnostician (lol!), so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Been there Done it
10,546 Posts
If you're trying to replace the ECM as a cure for "I tried everything I can think of, must be the computer." I doubt that will cure it. Those old ROM chip computers (16196395, 16197427) were pretty reliable unless they got wet or someone plugged and unplugged them with the key on and the battery connected. That'll wreck most any computer.
I'd pick one up from a JY. Most 94 and 95 TBI's including Astros and full size 305 and 350 TBI use the same ECM. Don't pay more than $15 for a 26 year old computer. You'll have to remove the little cover on the bottom and swap your ROM chip into it. That's the part that contains your individual vehicles program. Otherwise they're all the same. If you were local I'd give you one.
Sounds more like you have a wiring gremlin somewhere and a haunted radio.

Reactions: S10inPL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Extremely helpful info! Thanks, oldeerslayer. One way or another I will get this thing running again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts