S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 4.3
suggestions for replacement coolant tank
Ive already been thru the Dorman crap(2 failures in as many months,surprised??)
only Delco one I see is black and $70
anyone have good luck with another brand thats not just a reboxed Dorman?

·
Been there Done it
6,339 Posts
You could also pick up one at a JY. Clean the outside with lacquer thinner and use a little dish detergent and some tiny gravel to clean the inside. You want gravel not much bigger than sand and shake it from every angle to remove the crud inside. Might take a couple tries if you're real particular about the appearance, but they will clean up pretty good.
Just did my 99 last week while doing a flush.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You could also pick up one at a JY. Clean the outside with lacquer thinner and use a little dish detergent and some tiny gravel to clean the inside. You want gravel not much bigger than sand and shake it from every angle to remove the crud inside. Might take a couple tries if you're real particular about the appearance, but they will clean up pretty good.
Just did my 99 last week while doing a flush.
I'm storing those tricks away for the next time I'm cleaning one out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks but want new
may have to go thru the cap that falls off seams that leak,boltholes made in wrong location Dorman product
Harley Ive always used jack chain for cleaning out stuff like that,alot easier to get out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you have problems with new aftermarket and don't want to pay $70 for new OE, I'd just find a nice used OE at a junkyard.

I used a whole bottle of Prestone engine flush in my reservoir when I flushed out the cooling system. Had it in there for a few days while the rest of the system had distilled water. Looks spotless now and my truck saw plenty of PO neglect.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea the Delco I saw on RA was black

I got a spectra at $40 shipped
says made in Vietnam
My 01 (Im the original owner) still looks like new inside,pink,just how I like it.
Its all these 2nd owner ones that PO didnt change the coolant.Grrrr

·
Been there Done it
6,339 Posts
Same thing I did, but then in basic I volunteered for Pararescue.
Being young and dumb.
Not sure if I totally regret doing it.
Did some good, some bad.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same thing I did, but then in basic I volunteered for Pararescue.
Being young and dumb.
Not sure if I totally regret doing it.
Did some good, some bad.

going thru some old records that were in old safe the other day I found a tattered selective service card
for 1972. Number was 169..... very close
I remember another year was #269. Dont know why I saved that card after all these years

now we are totally off track

got the tank in looks like it fits a little better than the dorman.
On the Dormans I had to put foam under them because they arent shaped right on the underside.Also need to put loctite on mount bolts and snug them finger tight as they will crack if you tighten down like a factory one.

·
Been there Done it
6,339 Posts
That's Dorman's biggest issue. No QC. You never know until you try their parts if they're any good. Even if you buy 2 at the same time and place.
As big a company as they are you'd think someone in marketing would be watching the internet chatter and be aware that there is an issue seriously effecting their rep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
7 Participants
oldeerslayer
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing