S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the sawzall junkie brigade relieved my truck of it's catalytic converter and hacked it off just after the resonator and past the flange where it connects to the muffler on back so I will need the from part of the muffler assembly pipe to the flange as well. Most salvage yards will not sell used cats and trying to find a replacement through summit or r o c k a u t o has me looking down the barrel of $500+ for a whole Y-pipe + cat assembly, or a stand-alone cat but w/o the rest of the need pipes to make it work.

Depending on whether my local pink-n -pull has the sections I need (short of the cat itself), I can saw out the needed parts to make it work economically and get sleeves and hi-temp sealant to put something together, however does anyone know the actual GM part number for a replacement cat and what the least expensive (but decent quality) replacement cat that fits where the old one did that I can try and source. Not only does OBDII require the cat to work, but so does my state's vehicle inspection stations.

Unfortunately, I'm likely not the only member who's had something like this happen and with a 19 year old truck, I'm looking for any recommendations on how to solve this problem economally.

Thanks in advance, S-10'ers.

·
Been there Done it
11,896 Posts
On an 02 the only way I've seen a cat that will pass inspection is part of the $500 y-pipe. Gm has discontinued that part.
I see some of the CA CARB compliant ones run $1600. Hope you don't live there.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well, the sawzall junkie brigade ....
Well, Mr Marley, did you call your insurance? theft is covered under your policy (you do have theft coverage?) and let them take care of it. No need to stress another minute on it. Or, Call your local exhaust shop, and for that $500 have them custom make you a new exhaust with a new cat, and again, dont waste another minute of stressing over it.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, Mr Marley, did you call your insurance? theft is covered under your policy (you do have theft coverage?) and let them take care of it. No need to stress another minute on it. Or, Call your local exhaust shop, and for that $500 have them custom make you a new exhaust with a new cat, and again, dont waste another minute of stressing over it.
Fair point, but the deductible is far higher than what this would be so going to need to do this on my own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts