S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the top one secured in there but the bottom one for the life of me wont snap into place. it seems impossible to get in there?

·
Been there Done it
9,567 Posts
A good cleaning with some steel wool, some grease, and make sure it's aligned straight helps when they're being stubborn. If need be you can replace the fitting. It might be rusty inside. Be sure to put sealant on the threads. (not inside it)
If it's a new trans remove the fitting and see if it'll slip onto the line. There's always a possibility it's defective.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey i finally got it but had hard time with it basically i put the line in the fitting, then took a pick and was able to attach one end of clip and then pull with the pick the rest around it to where it secured and the line was stuck in there. then i wrenched the fitting with the line attached onto the radiator. thank god all that is done with but i learned a lot and i believe fixed a transmission leak.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
26,275 Posts
Did you slide the collar back into place?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep on both. only thing that worries me about it is when i first started (the first time with the bottom one not fully secured) and had transmission fluid pouring out i cleaned a lot of it up with some shop towels there were some wires down there that the fluid got on not sure if its going to ruin them or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay im not driving it until i add ATF mercon 3. so basically what happened was top one was snapped on securely and i thought bottom one was too but as soon as start and got out of car to observe fluid started leaking and turned car off popped hood and seen bottom one loose. so that was when i had to do all that with the pick to get the clip around the line then wrench it in to the radiator. quite the job i hate that clip design i get that is probably really secure but i wish they had an easier way.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sharp ridges on the collar on the trans line will give you fits trying to get them to snap in place, as you have figured out.

So, what's worse - dealing with these or cross-threading a fitting that you can't get to line up just right?

Either way often deals out just about as much frustration as a man can stand. If he doesn't have his fill yet, he should consider getting married, that'll do it!

·
Been there Done it
9,567 Posts
Sharp ridges on the collar on the trans line will give you fits trying to get them to snap in place, as you have figured out.

So, what's worse - dealing with these or cross-threading a fitting that you can't get to line up just right?

Either way often deals out just about as much frustration as a man can stand. If he doesn't have his fill yet, he should consider getting married, that'll do it!
Or do an LS swap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
okay im not driving it until i add ATF mercon 3. so basically what happened was top one was snapped on securely and i thought bottom one was too but as soon as start and got out of car to observe fluid started leaking and turned car off popped hood and seen bottom one loose. so that was when i had to do all that with the pick to get the clip around the line then wrench it in to the radiator. quite the job i hate that clip design i get that is probably really secure but i wish they had an easier way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey i finally got it but had hard time with it basically i put the line in the fitting, then took a pick and was able to attach one end of clip and then pull with the pick the rest around it to where it secured and the line was stuck in there. then i wrenched the fitting with the line attached onto the radiator. thank god all that is done with but i learned a lot and i believe fixed a transmission leak.
Don't over tighten the fitting into the radiator, could crack the radiator will cause a mixing of coolant with trans fluid and then by by trans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts