S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced the blown motor in my 98 ZR2 Blazer with a 4.3 from a 2000 Astro Van. It runs good but surges occasionally. Usually when it is in a cruising state, not accelerating. I had 1/4 tank of gas that sat for 4 mo. and i added 4 fresh gallons b4 i started it. I added some heet but so far no help there. I m still using old plugs, new cap, plugs and wires tho. I blew the cat trying to get it timed but at the moment i do not have 450.00 to do that. i don't think that is the problem tho, i am just mentioning it so we have the big picture. Thanks, i appreciate any help.

·
Administrator
22,986 Posts
Ditch the gas...get fresh.
New plugs.
OEM cap and wires...goes for the plugs also.
Cat shouldn't cost near that much. Not sure how timing blew the cat.

·
Been there Done it
8,135 Posts
Walker $152 plus gaskets. The trick to changing these is the bolts on both ends. Get the nuts glowing red with a real torch and they come right off. Slap the new one on and your done. 1/2 hour.
If you don't get the nuts glowing red they will break the brittle hardened bolts. Drilling them out takes forever because they are hardened.
Stick a scanner on it and read your TPS, MAP, & MAF. While cruising they shouldn't be fluctuating much.
Heet is useless since most gas today has isopropyl alcohol already in it. That's all Heet is. 4 months shouldn't ruin the gas. My plow truck sits 6 or 7 months every year and start right up each fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took out the crappy brand new autolites and put in some old ac/delco plugs and the problem is gone. just like that. Thanks ppl for the good advice. All of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts