S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm gonna replace this radio. This is in a 96 S10. Doesn't anyone make a direct replacement for these? Every radio I've looked at has the notation "may protrude from dash up to one and one-half inch". There just ain't no way I'm settling for that, after 10 years, I still occasionally hit the volume knob when shifting in/out of park! I'm open to suggestions, just want a basic am/fm & cd deck, nothing expensive. Thanks.

·
blahh
1,392 Posts
you could swap your dash....lol

I think theres a pioneer that fits directly but I don't know if it does the 96...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
no the pioneer wont fit. this radio is actually a little bigger than the din and a half in other gm. You can make your kit. behind the radio is some plastic that all you have to do it trim it out. and then the radio can sit flush.

·
black culture thief?!
1,702 Posts
the pioneer -47 and -77 din and a halfs might fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm going with the Pioneer DEH-P680MP. It's cheap, but it's exactly the same tuner & power as the 3Xmore expensive Pioneers. The Crutchfield guy said it will fit, comes with harness & stuff. I promise a full review, good or bad.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I will warn you now that the kit crutchfield will send with it will stick out from the dash. None of the aftermarket dash kits for this truck sit flush. They do this to give you room so you dont need to cut out the plastic in the back of the radio.

·
I need a job, No one hire
365 Posts
Double Din style radios is what you want.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts