S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon the question, but what advantages are gained by replacing the rearend?
I am looking at all feasible modifications that I can do to my truck.
I have a 2002 S10 Xtreme 4.6 and a 5-Speed.
It's stock right now, I have a loan and a warranty tying me down.
I am doing only small visual mods but I do have some plans.
Would changing the gearing help, if so in what way.
If you couldn't tell from the question, I know nothing about gearing or if there are any downsides of the stock gearing.
Any information would be appreciate,
-TheComputerGuy23
P.S. I'm not afraid to read, I have googled, but I'm not sure what can be done and what cannot.

·
Registered
119 Posts
it depends on what you're shooting for. it depends on your engines peak rpm, and peak horsepower and torque. it depends on the tire overall diameter.

changing the rearend gears will also change your speedo reading, as does changing wheel size.

a low gear (high number) such as 4.10 will give you great low end tire spinning torque torque, but it will rev up quickly, and reduce your top speed, as well as make it rev higher on the highway. this is like putting on little bitty tires on your standard rear.

a high gear (low number) such as 3.08, will not accellerate off the line as quickly, but your speed will be higher per rpm of the engine. it will rev low on the highway. this would be like putting on great big tires on your standard rear.

smaller engines require high torque to get going. large engines with high torque gears will do wheelies or spin tires (or break something).

with a v6 and a 5 speed, and standard wheel diameter, you would probably be very happy with 3.73 gears. the taller the tire size, the lower the gear you will want. monster tire 4x4's typically have a very low gear like 4.56 to move those huge tires.

big driving little = speed
little driving big = torque

this really will make sense if you read it enough times. :)

there are calculators out there on the net for figuring out wheel diameter with different size rims and tires, and also rpm calculators for different rear gears, tire sizes, and trans gear ratios. use these to figure out what your final rpm on the highway will be before choosing a rearend and wheel. you will have to know your trans ratios.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, do you happen to know what gears are stock on a 02 Xtreme?
I am using the stock 16" rims and I'm not planning on changing them.
If I did I would use one of those ECU chips that allow you to compensate for tire size when it comes to the speedo.
Would I be able to compensate for the same so that my speedo would be accurate?
-TheComputerGuy23

·
Registered
119 Posts
the rearend code is in the glove box. look on the sticky at the top of this forum for info.

if you can change the speed reading for tires by changing the chip, i would assume you can do the same for the rearend. the old mechanical ones you could just change the speedo gear in the side of the trans., but i guess if it's not cable operated, you gotta change the chip. never messed with them myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts