S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been running on 3 cylinders for about 6 months now, (I know I know, bad Dru!) I just don't have a grand to have it fixed right now.

My question is... The tech I spoke with told me that he can take out the old head and have it resurfaced and save me a bill or so. I'm wondering if that won't just be a pointless effort as it is the valve thats stuck, how would resurfacing it fix the valve??? should I just buy a new head and have him put that in instead?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ive been running on 3 cylinders for about 6 months now, (I know I know, bad Dru!) I just don't have a grand to have it fixed right now.

My question is... The tech I spoke with told me that he can take out the old head and have it resurfaced and save me a bill or so. I'm wondering if that won't just be a pointless effort as it is the valve thats stuck, how would resurfacing it fix the valve??? should I just buy a new head and have him put that in instead?
Resurfacing won't fix a stuck valve. however I have a head for a 98 2.2l that has been pressure checked and resurfaced off my s10 I'll sell for 150 bucks plus shipping.

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resurfacing won't fix a stuck valve. however I have a head for a 98 2.2l that has been pressure checked and resurfaced off my s10 I'll sell for 150 bucks plus shipping.
Find out how much shipping would be... I don't know the weight so I cant even take a guess. Most likely it would have to be freight I think right?

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Find out how much shipping would be... I don't know the weight so I cant even take a guess. Most likely it would have to be freight I think right?
What year is your truck Tangz. Not trying to interfere with your sale or help here mechanicix but im not sure he even mentioned what year. 94-97 there are 3 different heads. 2 of which are interchangable. 98-04 not sure how many different heads but they cannot replace 94-97 heads.

And If you have a stuck valve chances are you have some mileage on that head, Its ready to go anyway. You could just replace the valve and have the seats replaced too but like i said better off replacing the head if your sure thats your problem.

·
Registered
457 Posts
What year is your truck Tangz. Not trying to interfere with your sale or help here mechanicix but im not sure he even mentioned what year. 94-97 there are 3 different heads. 2 of which are interchangable. 98-04 not sure how many different heads but they cannot replace 94-97 heads.

And If you have a stuck valve chances are you have some mileage on that head, Its ready to go anyway. You could just replace the valve and have the seats replaced too but like i said better off replacing the head if your sure thats your problem.
Yea I don't want to sell you something you can't use. The head will only work for a 98-04. If that's what you have I'll be happy to find out shipping.

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll get pricing asap just in case it will work though.

Negative.. I'm in a 95

Ok, so obviously it sounds like I'd be better off buying a new head. How come the guy I talked to at the repair place said its always good to try and reuse the same head if possible????

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Negative.. I'm in a 95

Ok, so obviously it sounds like I'd be better off buying a new head. How come the guy I talked to at the repair place said its always good to try and reuse the same head if possible????
Most people on here from experience will say just replace the head. they crack easily cause the casting is kinda shitty. He was trying to save you some money probably. The way i look at it you go have the head resurfaced 70$, Pressure checked. 60$, Valves replaced, not sure how much, valve seats and seals. and by that time your probably a good 200-250 in so if you get a rebuilt head all ready to go for 300. You have the peace of mind and a totally checked out head.

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most people on here from experience will say just replace the head. they crack easily cause the casting is kinda shitty. He was trying to save you some money probably. The way i look at it you go have the head resurfaced 70$, Pressure checked. 60$, Valves replaced, not sure how much, valve seats and seals. and by that time your probably a good 200-250 in so if you get a rebuilt head all ready to go for 300. You have the peace of mind and a totally checked out head.
tru tru... yeah there only $315 at advanced, and my brother works there so I get his 20% discount....soooooooooooooooo lol

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
tru tru... yeah there only $315 at advanced, and my brother works there so I get his 20% discount....soooooooooooooooo lol
there ya go. I would go that route. Check the casting number on the old cylinder head. They may ship you a head for a caviler. There is a freeze plug in the water inlet that must be removed or your engine will never have coolant pass through it and will overheat FAST.

·
Beer time!
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there ya go. I would go that route. Check the casting number on the old cylinder head. They may ship you a head for a caviler. There is a freeze plug in the water inlet that must be removed or your engine will never have coolant pass through it and will overheat FAST.
a caviler WHAT??? and a freeze WHAT????? lol

you mean to tell me that my S10 runs a caviler engine? I feel so pathetic now.. lol

and whats with the freeze plug? hell, I'm not gonna worry about it, i'm havin a professional install it anyway... lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
a caviler WHAT??? and a freeze WHAT????? lol

you mean to tell me that my S10 runs a caviler engine? I feel so pathetic now.. lol

and whats with the freeze plug? hell, I'm not gonna worry about it, i'm havin a professional install it anyway... lol
Sorry to hear it won't work for you. He's is saying that the cavalier has the same engine that the s10 has. In fact that's what I put in my s10 to replace the old engine.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Yeah The caviler had a 2.2L motor. The same as our s 10. Only the cooling system has a different routing. If someone is professionally install it they should know what there doing. I have a caviler head on my s10.

Having trouble getting the attachments to work refer to this post

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f105/2-2l-specifications-351444/#post5048604
Its #19 on the 2.2 Specifications thread. It has pictures and an explanation.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts