S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to help my brother get his 80-something ( I forget the exact year) S-10 back on the road; 2.8 w/5-speed. The engine has siezed; water in the oil; doesn't look good. I have a 229 v-6 from a 1980 Camaro - same external dimensions as a 4.3 - in good running condition; seems to be a simple swap. My question: Can we use the existing transmission, flywheel, clutch, clutch housing & linkage?

Any comments appreciated.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
In a word no. Tranny yes, but the rest, no. The 4.3 are very much different than the 2.8. The best swap would be a GM 3.4, they are not that costly, around $1500 or so new.

·
Registered
152 Posts
stay w/ a 60 degree engine

Take a 3.4 from a 93 - 95 camaro and use the induction from the 2.8 and the front (timing) cover and the oil pan & oil pickup tube. These can be had inexpensively. One step up is the HT 3.4l crate motor from GM performance, a brand new long block and you won't need to change anything besides the induction & accessories, unless it's a 4x4 which needs the old oil pan & pickup tube. If it's new enough to not have V-belts, you will still need the front cover to make the water pump flow right w/ the serpentene belt. Since it's a 5-speed you'll need a neutral balanced flywheel. If his 2.8 is older than 1988, it will have external balancing weights welded onto it and would be a source of vibration on an internally balanced 3.4.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts