S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started polishing the A/C compressor and computer/abs module covers tonight and I have some pretty bad oxidation on them. I'd like to get it to as close of a mirror finish as possible.

I spent the time going thru 400 800 1000 1500 2000 grits....used blue magic....all that stuff but still have some spots I'm not happy with and its still a bit hazy....

Any suggestions?

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
:leave:

any pics? i know on mine i still have all the corners to do, and the sides where the fins are, i think on that part its kinda picky on the polishing. try putting on some latex gloves and rubbing the polish on by your finger and let it liquify, or it should at least thin out. that breaks it down further and helps with the shine.

to me, it seems as if the computer/abs was made out of cheap aluminum, its hard to get it mirror shine and on mine, no matter what i do, i cant get it any better. its shiny but no where near billet shine of course. i have the feeling the A/C compressor is the same way.

now the A/C accumulator (thing by the computer) should need no sanding but just a buff and it should turn out mirror shine. the A/C compressor on the other hand looks to be needing a ton of sanding since its cast part.

Just went outside and took these, gave my accumulator a quick buff. sorry for the night cell pics but its mirror shine.

The computer on the other hand, this is as good as its going to get, besides the touch up details i need to do on it (never removed it to polish). i might sand the DELPHI off it but dont know... either way if yours looks like mine...thats it man, you did the best you could do for the aluminum you have.

now in pics it looks great...in person its kinda hazy and not as good as it should be, but at a show people wont complain considering what it used to look like. you can see in the pic my Fi sticker on my phone is not as clear as the first.

and of course in this pic for all you know its mirror shine, but its not.

Now i am not a professional polisher, but i think there is some compound better than blue magic of course, that stuff is the shit, but it can only do so much. maybe some jewelers rouge? even so i did polish mine with a dremel with a cloth wheel...even then it still doesn't get it any better. i may try some mothers billet polish and see what that can do for it.

hope that answers your question.

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Beandip....Here are some pictures of the 3 things I polished so far....I may not have gotten the correct part names but so far I only did the ABS Module...Computer...and AC Portion right next to the computer.

I am pleased with the fact that they don't look like crap anymore but I was hoping they would turn out better.

Maybe I didn't sand enough with each grit? Or didn't polish long enough?

Not sure....but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so far!

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Looks like you need to sand more...maybe with that dremel cloth wheel would help you, that is what i used to polish mine. thats what my stuff used to look like when i did it by hand the first time.

Concentrate on the A/C by the computer, try to get that to shine, you may need to sand it with some 1500 then try to polish it. prepare to spend some time....also if you are not, wet sand it. should help out a lot more.

polish one small quarter spot if you can, or a small section, work on that until you get a nice shine, if it doesnt, then something is wrong on how you are doing it. better to waste your time with a small spot than to do the whole part and get nowhere.

·
Karbon Kreationz
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a good idea....I will give that a try tomorrow...I am wetsanding it but may not have let the sand paper soak long enough....and also only hit each piece with each grit for maybe 2 or 3 passes

·
Tech Mod
30,700 Posts
Sand until the whole surface is thoroughly sanded with that grit. not just a couple of passes. takes a bit of elbow grease.

·
Registered
536 Posts
use some wicked poish that is some of the best stuff besides jewlers rouge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts