S-10 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its supposed to be like a half hour job. everythig went so well except for pulling the shock off the bolt. its on there sooo damn tight. i pulled the shock off but the rubber bushing+metal sleeve it sits over is still on the bolt. whats the easiest way to get it off? i put lots and lots of wd40 over it but that didnt help too much. one side i got off by cutting through the metal sleeve parallel to the bolt as to sort of "split" the sleeve. it took way to much trouble tho. so whats the easy way to take it off?

·
I BURN THINGS
5,880 Posts
I've had luck with vise grips. Clamp them on the metal sleeve and twist back and fourth. Usually it will split the sleeve.

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried that..it just slips. taking gashes of sleeve off with it. does that mean im just not tightening enough? they are pretty serious gashes tho. lol.
any other ideas?

·
I AM CANADIAN
5,647 Posts
I watched an episode on "Trucks", they were lowering an S-10, they said to heat up the area until the bushing starts to smoke then you can pull it off easier.

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm.. i did attmept that but the bad fumes of burning rubber (leftover from the rubber bushing) and being sorta close to the gas tank kinda discouraged me. i guess ill keep heating it tomorrow then tho. any other ideas?cuz i gotta go to a friends house for fire, sumthign i might be able to do at home?

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
95projectS-Dime said:
all you need is a little propane torch , cost like $12
well ya i know. my buddy has a map gas torch or w/e you call it. im taking a bit of a drive tomorrow afternoon and knowing my buddy hes gonna be asleep till noonish. i guess i can bust into his house and just take it but heh. if theres an easier way. and i got sick coming home from his house to mine today. waaay too bouncy. so id prefer not to drive at all. but if heating it is the only way.... i guess i hafta. .dammit

·
I AM CANADIAN
5,647 Posts
I know the fumes are bad for you ...just wear a mask like a homemade one out of an old shirt. The heat from the torch will not bother the gastank, just dont point it at the tank.

·
Primer Spots
3,713 Posts
when in doubt cut, i cut everything that takes too long usually, If a big grinder is too much i have a dremel with a cutting wheel ready. Plastic, rubber, metal whatever it is, ive cut shocks up before just not to body part obvously.

·
Registered
215 Posts
sweet. i just picked up a set of replacement shocks for my 95 Blazer. I already had a blowtorch on the tools list for that very reason, so thats cool.

i have looked at all 4 shocks - there's really only a few bolts for each one and it looks like a simple job. i plan on attempting this tonight after work now that i'm done with the motor swap in one of my civics.

any other tips, perhaps on the front shocks too? anything to look out for or avoid?

maybe i can get a buddy to take pics while i do this and we can post a write-up.

·
s-series #2?
gone
24,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i ended up cutting through the whole sleeve with a hacksaw. was too lazy to go over to my buddy's. heh. little muscle training. lol. havent been doing much excersise recently anywyas. so i got the belltech nitro rears on. it rides nicely. much stiffer than stock.
and i was going to install the rearzq8 swaybar brackets but the holes wont line up. vertical two holes will but the bottom one is about half a hole off. so i guess i gotta drill into the frame. dammit. more work. so much for direct bolt ons blah.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts